Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooling season is on again off again and soon to be on for an extended period. The A/C on my '05 sable has decided to take the summer off. I dumped in two cans of R-134 about two weeks ago and it worked for a few days and has now gone back to non functional. I can by pass the pressure switch and make the compressor work, but as soon as you take the by pass out it quits. Must have a leak somewhere, but nothing obvious. Anyone got a "usual" trouble spot to look for? The car has 132k on it. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Look for oil or dye on the hoses and at the connections.

If you cannot locate the leak, refill the system with dye and get a UV light.

Do not use stop leak!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (eminem3150 @ May 29 2009, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728853
Look for oil or dye on the hoses and at the connections.

If you cannot locate the leak, refill the system with dye and get a UV light.

Do not use stop leak![/b]

No oil or wet spots on hoses or connections that I can see. Haven't gotten really up close and personal with it just yet. Thought this would be a good place to start. The dye and UV light sounds like a good idea. Where does one get this dye? O'Reilly, AutoZone, etc....? What sort of procedure is required to troublshoot using this method? And thanks for the reply, much appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Usually, this dye is put in at the factory.

You should not have added any refrigerant without first knowing how much was in the system in the first place.

The A/C will not work properly if it's overfull either. You need to read the pressures with a manifold gauge set to know if it's undercharged, overcharged, or if there is a different issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Mr. X @ May 29 2009, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728884
Usually, this dye is put in at the factory.

You should not have added any refrigerant without first knowing how much was in the system in the first place.

The A/C will not work properly if it's overfull either. You need to read the pressures with a manifold gauge set to know if it's undercharged, overcharged, or if there is a different issue.[/b]

Hmmm.. Didn't know that about the dye. Good to know and a good idea.

I assumed (yes I know what "assuming" will do) that since the A/C clutch would not engage normally and would when by-passing the pressure switch that the refrigerant was low. I've got a little handy dandy fill hose with a gauge on it for the low pressure side and it indicated low refrigerant also. So that is why I added refrigerant and it did work well for a few days and now it is dysfunctional once again with the same symptoms.

I'll have to see if I can locate a UV light and see what I can come up with. Will have to see if I can locate my gauges also. Have moved and not everything is readily available. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
They sell the UV dye kits at most parts stores. That's where I'd start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts