Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bull needs it's A/C system checked because I know the charge is a bit low, but upon inspection of the High and low side ports, they both appear to be lacking schrader valves. Each port contains, just a ball. That's as best as I can describe it. I've browsed the interwebs high and low for some sort of adapters as I don't think I can just hook the gauge set to these.

Are there some sort of special dealer only adapters or what's the deal here?

I checked our 04 Mazda Tribuite and '10 Ford Fusion Hybrid and both have actual schrader valves on both high and low ports.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
what year is your car (since we cant tell at a glance anymore)? my moms 07 worked just fine with the gauges but i never actually looked closely at the fittings...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed that the important details are now missing.

This is a 1998 Duratec Taurus.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
yeah... hmm we have a 98 wagon if i can remember i will check tomorrow and see what ours look like, though i dont think they would take a special adapter there should only be two common fittings one for r-12 (the screw on ones) or for r-134a (the quick connect ones)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else in the 97-99 range going to check under their A/C port caps and chime in?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
crap i totally forgot! sorry! too much homework for the last 4 days straight its been homework, work, and a couple hours on tcca... i will check tomorrow i will even put it in my phone so i dont forget. ill probably take a pic too... i like to be thorough

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I just noticed that the important details are now missing.

This is a 1998 Duratec Taurus.
Yeah but we got our rep power and trader score so it all evens out.

Mike
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone else in the 97-99 range going to check under their A/C port caps and chime in?
My '99 Duratec has the standard valves. I've checked and added freon without any special adapters to perform the process (just the standard kit with a gauge that you can buy at a parts store). If you do get to your process, you may consider adding in some A/C system oil - to keep things properly lubed and prevent premature failure.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
MY '00 has the standard 134a low side quick disconnect fitting by the P side at the firewall.
I adapted the fitting from a refill kit to my gauge set so I can top off from a 20lb can with a air hose splicer and a old low side hose.
Pressure is under 100 lb so no worries like on the high side and I can monitor the top off with a real guage.
I've got a leak at the condensor / hose connection and I know that bolt isn't coming out so the spring top off is all I have to do so far for the last 3 yrs. (dye in the system)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
ok our 98 has the same fitting you described and we filled ours no problem. they looke like they could be an aftermarket replacement fitting but im not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
and a pic

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 1998 LX model it has the ball check valve and not the schrader valve. The high side ball check went bad and you cannot retighten them. Once gone bad you are screwed and have to evacuate and install new valve. You can use a standard set of guages on these with no problem. I am going to dealer tomorrow to see if I can get a replacment valve for it as Autozone and O'Reilly's do not stock them. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts