Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much trouble it is to replace the O rings for the A/C unit on a 2000 Sable? I have added freon to my unit maybe twice a summer for the past three summers and already I charged it about two weeks ago. Is it a pain in the butt to do this O ring job? Thanks as usual for all your info.....Bob

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
You need to get the fitting tools- like $15 at autozone and the correct rings (green). It's not too bad, but can get a little cramped in there.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Are you sure the 134a is leaking from from the O rings and not from the compressor shaft seal, the evaporator core or the condenser?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where the leak is....

Not sure where it's coming from but was told that's the most common problem. I put a can of leak detection with the red dye but didn't see anything anywhere.....My system is really cold but it won't last the summer as was the case the last two summers.....thanks guys....

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Check the Schrader valves in the charging fittings. Sometimes these go bad and allow the refrigerant to leak out.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Not sure where it's coming from but was told that's the most common problem. I put a can of leak detection with the red dye but didn't see anything anywhere.....My system is really cold but it won't last the summer as was the case the last two summers.....thanks guys....
Most places like Midas and such will do an a/c check for free, they will use UV dye and will show you where the leak is if you ask.

Did that with my roommates car, replaced parts accordingly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats sounds like an option. I'll set up an appoinment with a Midas shop and see where the leak is coming from......thanks for that info.....Bob

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you have a bad seal, you really can't fix it yourself, at least not cost effectively. If you do not know why, you are definitely not qualified to tackle this. The reason is that AC service requires you to have tools that the typical DIYer is not going to have, and you really need to get a book on the subject and educate yourself. If you don't have your own tools, its cheaper to just let the pros do it, as opposed to ruining the system and making the repairs more costly.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
If you have a bad seal, you really can't fix it yourself, at least not cost effectively. If you do not know why, you are definitely not qualified to tackle this. The reason is that AC service requires you to have tools that the typical DIYer is not going to have, and you really need to get a book on the subject and educate yourself. If you don't have your own tools, its cheaper to just let the pros do it, as opposed to ruining the system and making the repairs more costly.
I would agree paritally with this.

Replace the seals or failing parts yourself- do it quickly- leave the system open as shortly as possible. Have the shop recharge the system- ~$150

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, but you could have the shop do the whole thing for about $150. My brothers van blew the high pressure valve, it cost $180 for the shop to get the part, install it, and recharge the system. By the time you are done buying the tools you need, and doing the work, you might as well have let a pro do the job.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Yeah, but you could have the shop do the whole thing for about $150. My brothers van blew the high pressure valve, it cost $180 for the shop to get the part, install it, and recharge the system. By the time you are done buying the tools you need, and doing the work, you might as well have let a pro do the job.
He must have a hell of a shot, that's not bad. My roommates low side line rusted out, they wanted almost $1200 to replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, a rusted out line is gonna cost, depends on how hard it is to get. My '96 LX cost about $2100 to get the AC fixed. It needed everything, compressor, seals, lines, discontinued lines, condenser. It would have cost much less than that, but not everything was caught and fixed in the first go around. The AC lines cost because the manifold hose assembly has been discontinued, had to remove and send it out to a local hose shop that fabricated a new one. The new one is easier to service though, not that it should matter. The end result works pretty well, but had I known there were gonna be complications, I would have done it all the first time, rather than some here and some there. There is less labor when it only needs to be done once. Nothing had to be redone, other than labor. So I've been on the cheap and the expensive end of AC repair.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Yeah, a rusted out line is gonna cost, depends on how hard it is to get. My '96 LX cost about $2100 to get the AC fixed. It needed everything, compressor, seals, lines, discontinued lines, condenser. It would have cost much less than that, but not everything was caught and fixed in the first go around. The AC lines cost because the manifold hose assembly has been discontinued, had to remove and send it out to a local hose shop that fabricated a new one. The new one is easier to service though, not that it should matter. The end result works pretty well, but had I known there were gonna be complications, I would have done it all the first time, rather than some here and some there. There is less labor when it only needs to be done once. Nothing had to be redone, other than labor. So I've been on the cheap and the expensive end of AC repair.
With her car, I bought the part shipped 2nd day for $65. I replaced the line in like 35 minutes in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you have access to the equipment you can save a lot of money, but the equipment itself is expensive. On mine it costs a lot, because as though some of the stuff isn't already hard to get to on a Taurus, the Duratec models are worse, and the 1996 LX models are different from everything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts