Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2000 SE with EATC and my problem is with my a/c that is similar to others but a bit more complicated (I think). The a/c is fully charged and working fine until the other day it just stopped working and hot air starting coming from the defrost vents. I read in other forums about a door stuck and needed to be replaced I'm not sure this is the problem. This is where things go different. I tired the diagnostic test (floor,off button then auto) I do not get any dashed lines or codes even after waiting several minutes. I have an automatic temp control. When the hot air is coming out of the defrost vents none of the control buttons work, I can not change where the air will come from or even turn it off. Also, the clock and radio stop working. (the clock and radio will work if I turn the key to accessory). After reading other posts I'm guessing the RCC is bad and needs to be replaced. Any help would be very appreciated. Hot air in the summer is not fun! :(

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Are you sure you performed the test correctly, hitting off + floor together and auto within 2 seconds?
You might also want to pull out the eatc/radio and make sure everything is connected in the back.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Check the connections to the RCU in the trunk under driver's side carpet. Make sure plugs are seated. If not, the car goes to auto-defrost mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the exact same problem: try this

2002 Duratec with EATC. Has happened to me more than once. Dealer changed EATC controller one time and I don't think that was it. Last time was several weeks ago. Had a tempermental xmission problem (whole nother story) where I disconnected battery to reset electronic xmission. When i started the car, hot air/no ac. Could tell the A/C compressor clutch was not engaging. Pulled the A/C clutch relay for a minute, put it back and AC has worked perfect since! Guess relay was closed and opened itself up again. I think that's right. When relay is closed, it sends voltage to clutch which prevents it from engaging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To durasel, yes I did the test correctly, I even did it a few times just make sure. Nothing came up.
To Bull Geek, I'll look at the connections to the RCU.
muenchau, your suggestion sounds pretty good, I did dsconnect the battery before this happened I was doing other work on the car. I will be trying these tomorrow. Thank you all, I'll let you know the out come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the a/c clutch relay, waited then replaced it, still nothing. Air still comes from the defrost vents, radio and clock still not showing. The display for the outside temp reading is "0", it is over 90 outside today. I guess "0" is the default reading. I check the connections on the RCU all was good there. I'm stumped. Hate to have to take it to a dealer to fix it... any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
When i started the car, hot air/no ac. Could tell the A/C compressor clutch was not engaging. Pulled the A/C clutch relay for a minute, put it back and AC has worked perfect since! Guess relay was closed and opened itself up again. I think that's right. When relay is closed, it sends voltage to clutch which prevents it from engaging.
Don't have experience w/EATC, but AC clutch is energized to engage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am now able to get codes to show on the eatc. I get codes 195 and 51. The eatc now works "fixed its self" I did not do anything, it just started working correctly by its self. As for the codes, I replaced the sun load sensor and code 51 is gone. I still have code 195 (comm. error between intergrated control panel and remote climate control module) showing. Does any one know what I can do to get rid of this. I have read a relay needs to be replaced. Is this correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts