Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.. everyone,.. i have been searching all over the forum to get some help on this topic, and could not find any..

my a/c does not work..so I asked buddy of mine who knows little about the ac systems..he came and looked at my car..
he said the compressor was shot, so he got it replaced, vaccumed, and recharged it.;.etc..

he found out that there is no 12 volt to the compressor connector, so he put the voltage directly to the switch, so he can charge the system.

I know that is not the right way.. but he did it so charge would be there..get one thing out of the way..

Now,.. the compressor is on all the time, due to the fact that it has 12 volts to the connector directly.. ha ha ha.. even with the ac off.. on all the time.. unless I disconnect the power to the connector..

question is.. how does the connector to the compressor get the 12 volts..?? on that rectangular connector switch..?? with two cables going into it..
he did swap the relays around to verify that relay is not the issue.. or the fuse..

then, he got too busy, so he just left it like that..
now, if i put 12 volts to the connector tip that he has made, the compressor does kick in..and blows cold air. and the a/c fan goes on and off every 10 seconds or so..

I guess there is some problem getting the voltage to the switch connector that suppose control it the right way..
I need some advise from expertise.. here, where should I look into from here..??.. for I'm lost.. help is appreciated..
thanks.. jc..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The low pressure switch will not allow power to the clutch unless the pressure is high enough to close it. There should be a relay controlled by the PCM to switch on the AC.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I want to add to the above post. They have high and low pressure switchs on the AC system, but if either goes out, it will prevent the compressor from kicking in no matter what you do. I know there is a 4 pin switch by the compressor and I think another attached to the filter/drier canister by/under the water tank. That was my friend's problem when I sold him my old Taurus. I noticed the AC was randomly kicking off sometimes but it didn't bother me because I was selling the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your quick responses.. meanwhile, I did check some other threads,.. and found how to check/bypass the switch, by the water reservoure,... and put a pin/paper clip to short it out,.. and no changes..still the same.. now.. where is the other switch..??
and some other things to check..??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts