Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 92 SHO, if I turn the A/C on, it will work for awhile, blow nice and cold no matter what the temperature. Then after about 10 mins, the A/C will just turn off, and the air will blow warm, and won't come back on till I usually let it sit a few mins with the car off. Then start the car again, and turn on the A/c, then it does the same thing again. So, what could be the cause of this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted a similar problem with my 94 SHO. It seems that when the car overheats, the AC does kick off. Have you noticed any abnomral movement in your heat gauge?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...actually my problem that i was having was quite the opposite, my Thermostat was stuck open, so my car never got to the proper operating temp, I replaced the tstat, but my problem is different in that it just shuts itself off, I don't know why it does it though, it just shuts off after 10 mins, and it never gets anywhere near overheating. So I don't think its the same problem. What could cause it to just shut off after working fine after 10 mins?>

·
Registered
411 Posts
Does the compressor turn off?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it does, suddenly I'll hear that clicking noise of it kicking off, but it won't kick back on again, and then the air starts blowing warm, it just shuts off after 10 mins. So I'm not quite sure what would cause this, because when it is on, it blows cold, then it just shuts off, probably not exactly 10 mins, but around that.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
WIll it ever come back on if you leave the car on and also leave the ac switch alone?

Check if the compressor is overheating. I know volvo R134a compressors shut off if they get too hot, and turn back on when the temps drop back down. Don't know if ford is like this or not.

Also check to see if the charge level is too high or too low.

You could also use a guage on the high pressure and low pressure side to see exactly what happens before the system shuts off. If the high pressure is way too high there could be a block in the system, like at the orifice tube.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, at some point I want to try and check the pressure to see if its too high or low, the thing is though, is that when listening to it, it sounds like the compressor is working hard, like there is not enough lubrication or something like that. My system is R12, but I want to see if I could find some oil at an auto parts store which might help out, because maybe it shuts itself off due to being overworked.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is the compressor clutch accessible while the car is running? If so may want to drive it until the A/C Quits then check the voltage at the clutch coil while the car is running if there is 12 volts but the clutch is not pulled in then the clutch coil is toast, and if the compressor is noisy it may be time for a new compressor w/clutch along with a 134A retro. Time to up grade

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eh...I really don't want to put the money or time in for a new compressor, not right now at least. I doubt that this compressor was used for a long time though, because the power to the compressor was unplugged when I got the car, and I don't know for how long. So maybe it just hasn't been used for a long time, so now the system is all gunked up, but I guess in time I'll figure out what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts