Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i got the cans of r134a from kragen and i filled up the ac in my van after replacing the a/c compressor. well went to check the pressure with the say fitting i used to fill my 99 windstar and it wouldn't fit on the valve for the Taurus. and yes i know that its the low side its the same one i used to fill it a couple of years ago but gauge/hose. but i thought it was weird cause it was the same brand of refill i used to fill it a couple of years ago and haven't done any work on it. the valve is to big for the gauge/hose. i also ran in to the same problem on a 98 jeep grand Cherokee that i was checking out for a buddy of mine. i thought that all r134a systems had the same fittings on them but i could be wrong please shed some light on this for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IN TAURUS - If you have found the low side, follow that back towards the firewall and you will find the high side. That is where I have to fill mine. I have a base model 05 SE with the Vulcan engine, no extra frills than necessary. So if you have some extras, I do not know if something could be different. My contector for the AC has a gauge built in and it was well worth the extra price.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Would you people please stop wasting your time and money on those worthless cans with the connectors. To do the job right, you need a manifold gauge set, which means you need the cans with the tap. This is the only proper way to refill the system without doing more damage to it.

The cans with the built in gauge only measure the low side pressure, which is only part of the equation. If you fill the low side without knowing what the high side it, you can easily overfill the system, which puts more strain on other parts. And if something is wrong, you can't detect it without a proper gauge set.

If you can't afford to get the proper tools and learn how to use them, then you need to stop doing it yourself and let a pro handle it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have never had a problem with the cans i have used them on all my cars and have never had any issue until now. and its not a big issue its just that the fitting is a different size then my van. but there is nothing wrong with the cans. i have redone my whole a/c system in my van and used the cans to fill it back up and now it works better then when i bought it. i was just asking a simple question. not everyone can afford a pro to do it. and if you cant afford the proper tools then you sure can't afford the pro in my experience.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
hi,

if the entire system was open to the atmosphere it needs to be evacuated by
using high vacuum pump.

moisture in the air will remain in the closed system and that is bad,
it will freeze up and can cause blockage.

the water can also react (not sure with the R134a) and form acid that will
turn the pipes into swiss cheese and that means expensive replacement.

easy to have the local shop do it for you that way you don't have expensive fix later.

regards

·
Registered
20 Posts
i was just asking a simple question. not everyone can afford a pro to do it. and if you cant afford the proper tools then you sure can't afford the pro in my experience.
Copy that!! Having said that, a gauge set can be had at Harbor Freight for around $50.

hi,

if the entire system was open to the atmosphere it needs to be evacuated by
using high vacuum pump.

moisture in the air will remain in the closed system and that is bad,
it will freeze up and can cause blockage.

the water can also react (not sure with the R134a) and form acid that will
turn the pipes into swiss cheese and that means expensive replacement.

easy to have the local shop do it for you that way you don't have expensive fix later.

regards

If it was opened up, you do need a vacuum. For around $150, a shop can vacuum, leak test and recharge your system = peace of mind.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts