Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2003 Taurus SES and the A/C has went out. I know there is a leak. Took it to the service shop and was told it was the line that runs underneath from the front of the engine to the back. Well have the car in the air and can't find any A/C lines underneath. From the top have found both lines but the guy at the shop said that it was only visible from underneath. So if anyone could help it would be wonderful. If for some reason someone would know where to find pictures of these hoses that would also help.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a 2001 Vulcan, however, I cannot imagine the A/C lines matter when it comes to these cars. If this is true, then the following will suit you as well.

The LOW side will contain the filler port up by the cabin air filter, towards the firewall on the passenger side.

The HIGH side will contain it's filler port up towards the Coolant Reservoir tank (just behind the passenger headlamp).

These are the only two lines in the system. There is an Evaporator Core up under the dash (which requires removal of said dash).

There is a Condenser up front, in front of the radiator. Then of course there is the compressor. Again, on the Vulcan it's just below the power steering pump. I'm not sure where it is on the DOHC.

To my knowledge there are no 'hidden/non-visible' A/C lines. I have just replaced the entire A/C system in my car (High, Low, Evap Core, Accumulator in March and Condenser and Compressor this weekend).

Good luck!

If anything, buy a couple can's of R134a with the UV dye in it. When it leaks out, take the UV light (black light) and find the dye. That will help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Jul 20 2009, 08:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740709
I have a 2001 Vulcan, however, I cannot imagine the A/C lines matter when it comes to these cars. If this is true, then the following will suit you as well.

The LOW side will contain the filler port up by the cabin air filter, towards the firewall on the passenger side.

The HIGH side will contain it's filler port up towards the Coolant Reservoir tank (just behind the passenger headlamp).

These are the only two lines in the system. There is an Evaporator Core up under the dash (which requires removal of said dash).

There is a Condenser up front, in front of the radiator. Then of course there is the compressor. Again, on the Vulcan it's just below the power steering pump. I'm not sure where it is on the DOHC.

To my knowledge there are no 'hidden/non-visible' A/C lines. I have just replaced the entire A/C system in my car (High, Low, Evap Core, Accumulator in March and Condenser and Compressor this weekend).

Good luck!

If anything, buy a couple can's of R134a with the UV dye in it. When it leaks out, take the UV light (black light) and find the dye. That will help.[/b]

Thanks much. I have run the UV dye through but have had no luck finding the leak... :x: we are hoping that today we will find it cause we got another can. At least now I know I'm not missing anything. Thanks again :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
If it's leaking out and you are not seeing any dye, then chances are good (not 100%) but good that the Evaporator Core up under the dash is the part that is bad.

If you take it to a reputable shop (and I'm guessing that the one you took it too is not a reputable one b/c the 'hidden line' thing just is a bit off) then they should be able to tell you exactly which part it is. There are ways to tell if the compressor is going, condenser is going or if the evaporator core needs to be replaced.

You can also use any brand of Black Light (think the lights that we had in dorm rooms) to find the dye. Sometimes this is better than that stupid little beam you get from the pencil lights.

Do it in a dark place for the best bet, heck do it at night if possible w/o any ambient light around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts