Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My a/c pulley crapped on me. I killed my self to put in a new pulley, ,coil and clutch. It seemed to work fine for a few days. Now the damn thing will only cycle on for a few seconds. I figured it was tha air gap. I put a smaller shim in place, but that did not solve the problem. What the heck can it be now? Is there a site glass to check for refrigerant? Or is the only way to put gauges on it? I have gauges. Can someone run me through the process again? Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My a/c pulley crapped on me. I killed my self to put in a new pulley, ,coil and clutch. It seemed to work fine for a few days. Now the damn thing will only cycle on for a few seconds. I figured it was tha air gap. I put a smaller shim in place, but that did not solve the problem. What the heck can it be now? Is there a site glass to check for refrigerant? Or is the only way to put gauges on it? I have gauges. Can someone run me through the process again? Thanks.
[/quote

Your system probably needs a recharge. If the refrigerant is low the compressor will cycle on and off. There is no sight glass. You need gauges to check your system. You need .096 kg's of R-134a to fill your unit. Thats about 34oz in our conversion. Thats what my 2000 Mercury Sable takes.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You can't just stuff in or remove spacers without measuring the magnetic plate gap. I take it that you didn't measure it when installing the new pulley, and you didn't measure it when you changed the shim.

If you have the wrong clearance gap, the clutch may not engage, or it may not fully disengage when the ac is off, leading to failure to engage when the ac is turned on, OR accellerated wear of the pulley friction surface or the magnetic plate when the ac is off.

It's almost impossible to get good gap measurements, and to set the gap accurately when the ac compressor is still in the car. This is why I recommend removing the compressor when replacing the ac clutch.

The refrigerant charge is too low, which is why the ac system is cycling on and off. You must use an ac manifold gauge set to accurately measure the refrigerant charge in both sides of the system before and while filling the system with refrigerant.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used feeler gauges to set the air gap. The car is low on refrigerant.

QUOTE (gohim @ Jun 7 2010, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810045
You can't just stuff in or remove spacers without measuring the magnetic plate gap. I take it that you didn't measure it when installing the new pulley, and you didn't measure it when you changed the shim.

If you have the wrong clearance gap, the clutch may not engage, or it may not fully disengage when the ac is off, leading to failure to engage when the ac is turned on, OR accellerated wear of the pulley friction surface or the magnetic plate when the ac is off.

It's almost impossible to get good gap measurements, and to set the gap accurately when the ac compressor is still in the car. This is why I recommend removing the compressor when replacing the ac clutch.

The refrigerant charge is too low, which is why the ac system is cycling on and off. You must use an ac manifold gauge set to accurately measure the refrigerant charge in both sides of the system before and while filling the system with refrigerant.[/b]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts