Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ford Taurus SE Sedan 3.0L
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched through the forums and seems like it's a fairly simple fix, provided I don't have to remove the airbag on the passenger side.

My A/C was working fine, then I noticed when I was having to accelerate that it was dropping to defrost and then when I'd left up it would go back to the vents, it did that for a bit and then was going randomly and finally just stayed on defrost.

So my assumption is having to accelerate hard to get into traffic those few times must have finished that tubing off, but It's not broken outside the firewall (aside from where I had already patched, but it was still fine and holding).

Is it possible that the tubing inside the cabin gave way or collapsed?

I've ordered some 1/8 vacuum tubing and some connectors to try and run a new line, is it possible to get a new line through that grommet?

I'm thinking maybe just the section that goes into the cabin and connects there probably went bad, but on the off chance it went bad on the connector to the A/C itself, is the line removable from it, or are they permanently moulded and attached (never had it out to look so I'm not fully sure)?

I'm going to check the reservoir as well under the passenger fender, but I think that is okay, but on the off chance it's bad is there a part number for that or a Dorman or some other replacement that would work on the 05 Taurus?

Appreciate any info!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Searched through the forums and seems like it's a fairly simple fix, provided I don't have to remove the airbag on the passenger side.

My A/C was working fine, then I noticed when I was having to accelerate that it was dropping to defrost and then when I'd left up it would go back to the vents, it did that for a bit and then was going randomly and finally just stayed on defrost.

So my assumption is having to accelerate hard to get into traffic those few times must have finished that tubing off, but It's not broken outside the firewall (aside from where I had already patched, but it was still fine and holding).

Is it possible that the tubing inside the cabin gave way or collapsed?

I've ordered some 1/8 vacuum tubing and some connectors to try and run a new line, is it possible to get a new line through that grommet?

I'm thinking maybe just the section that goes into the cabin and connects there probably went bad, but on the off chance it went bad on the connector to the A/C itself, is the line removable from it, or are they permanently moulded and attached (never had it out to look so I'm not fully sure)?

I'm going to check the reservoir as well under the passenger fender, but I think that is okay, but on the off chance it's bad is there a part number for that or a Dorman or some other replacement that would work on the 05 Taurus?

Appreciate any info!
^+1. That black line runs into the cabin and attaches to a white plastic vacuum plug mounted to the heater box under the glovebox. There will be 3-4 other colored lines attached to the plug. Iirc, 3 pushpins to remove the kickpanel to access. And yes, the whitish/yellowish line at the tee split underhood runs to the vacuum reservoir inside the rf pass. fender. Iirc, you can remove the plastic inner splash shield to access. I assume you've traced back the larger black vacuum line from the tee/y back to the drivers side vacuum junction box mounted above the master cylinder? Have you checked the inline checkvalve at the tee?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^+1. That black line runs into the cabin and attaches to a white plastic vacuum plug mounted to the heater box under the glovebox. There will be 3-4 other colored lines attached to the plug. Iirc, 3 pushpins to remove the kickpanel to access. And yes, the whitish/yellowish line at the tee split underhood runs to the vacuum reservoir inside the rf pass. fender. Iirc, you can remove the plastic inner splash shield to access. I assume you've traced back the larger black vacuum line from the tee/y back to the drivers side vacuum junction box mounted above the master cylinder? Have you checked the inline checkvalve at the tee?
Yeah, already followed the line from the drivers' side to the tee, everything was good, but I've had to piece the black line back together once before, worked for a while, but finally when accelerating it was jumping from defrost to vent and then finally went full defrost, checked the hose that goes into the cabin and didn't see anything wrong looking at it, but it was brittle since It'd already cracked in a bend so I know I pretty much need to run a new line.

But I just thought I'd see if there were any other reasons for that to happen, the tees are relatively cheap, so I'm honestly tempted to just replace it now as well, and run a new line to the reservoir. Do they make aftermarket reservoirs for the bulls (I see them for almost everything else, mostly trucks lol) or is that something that'd have to be patched or pulled from a salvage car? (just in case it's in bad shape when I check it)

That's the path I'm on at this point, but I know how great of a resource the forums are with all the other bull owners, so just wanted to double-check for other possibilities before pulling stuff apart.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Yeah, already followed the line from the drivers' side to the tee, everything was good, but I've had to piece the black line back together once before, worked for a while, but finally when accelerating it was jumping from defrost to vent and then finally went full defrost, checked the hose that goes into the cabin and didn't see anything wrong looking at it, but it was brittle since It'd already cracked in a bend so I know I pretty much need to run a new line.

But I just thought I'd see if there were any other reasons for that to happen, the tees are relatively cheap, so I'm honestly tempted to just replace it now as well, and run a new line to the reservoir. Do they make aftermarket reservoirs for the bulls (I see them for almost everything else, mostly trucks lol) or is that something that'd have to be patched or pulled from a salvage car? (just in case it's in bad shape when I check it)

That's the path I'm on at this point, but I know how great of a resource the forums are with all the other bull owners, so just wanted to double-check for other possibilities before pulling stuff apart.
For the vacuum reservoir, you're probably looking at a pick-n-pull jy if someone like Rockauto doesn't offer it.

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
129 Posts
My A/C was working fine, then I noticed when I was having to accelerate that it was dropping to defrost and then when I'd left up it would go back to the vents
Clear indication that the check valve on the firewall has gone on retirement. My have caused other problems but you should start there. It's the black and white piece btw the fat vac line crossing the firewall and the two plastic tubes heading down the firewall on passenger side. Cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clear indication that the check valve on the firewall has gone on retirement. My have caused other problems but you should start there. It's the black and white piece btw the fat vac line crossing the firewall and the two plastic tubes heading down the firewall on passenger side. Cheap and easy to replace.
Appreciate the suggestion, wouldn't happen to know what the check valve part number would be would you? I know there's a dorman replacement, but probably not as good as an oem variant.

My apologies, just looked on rockauto and found the correct VCV (YG193) think I was accidentally looking at the wrong thing and the Dorman was coming up, found it now though, but greatly appreciate the help, definitely going to replace that and the lines just to freshen those up as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Searched through the forums and seems like it's a fairly simple fix, provided I don't have to remove the airbag on the passenger side. My A/C was working fine, then I noticed when I was having to accelerate that it was dropping to defrost and then when I'd left up it would go back to the vents, it did that for a bit and then was going randomly and finally just stayed on defrost. So my assumption is having to accelerate hard to get into traffic those few times must have finished that tubing off, but It's not broken outside the firewall (aside from where I had already patched, but it was still fine and holding). Is it possible that the tubing inside the cabin gave way or collapsed? I've ordered some 1/8 vacuum tubing and some connectors to try and run a new line, is it possible to get a new line through that grommet? I'm thinking maybe just the section that goes into the cabin and connects there probably went bad, but on the off chance it went bad on the connector to the A/C itself, is the line removable from it, or are they permanently moulded and attached (never had it out to look so I'm not fully sure)? I'm going to check the reservoir as well under the passenger fender, but I think that is okay, but on the off chance it's bad is there a part number for that or a Dorman or some other replacement that would work on the 05 Taurus? Appreciate any info!
The defrost is the default setting when the vacuum line breaks. Out in the engine compartment, up on the firewall (more left side when facing from front of car), there is a tiny black vacuum air line that eventually rots and/or breaks. Piece it together with some rubber hose and it will work again.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

yes, if you have a leaking vacuum motor in the HVAC, it will do the same thing. had that happen once. i used a small handheld vacuum pump (can get a cheap manual one from harbor freight or such)
and put it on each vacuum motor (actuator) on the hvac and see if they leak down. if they dont hold vacuum, they will need to be replaced

1 - 9 of 9 Posts