Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I changed a headlight bulb, and was messing around in the engine compartment. Of a sudden, I heard a hissing noise which sounded like a bottle of Coke being opened for the first time. When I started the car, I found that the Air Conditioner/Vent/Heat would only blow out of one location: the defroster. I'm assuming that the hissing noise I heard was a release of precious gasses used to move the air director which changes the air flow to different places.

Oh, and the air is still cold when on A/C.

Any ideas how to fix it, or even where to look?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Aug 25 2004, 08:54 PM
So today I changed a headlight bulb, and was messing around in the engine compartment. Of a sudden, I heard a hissing noise which sounded like a bottle of Coke being opened for the first time. When I started the car, I found that the Air Conditioner/Vent/Heat would only blow out of one location: the defroster. I'm assuming that the hissing noise I heard was a release of precious gasses used to move the air director which changes the air flow to different places.

Oh, and the air is still cold when on A/C.

Any ideas how to fix it, or even where to look?
The HVAC system uses vacuum motors to direct air to the appropriate outlet. When vacuum is not present, the system automatically reverts to the defroster outlet. The hiss you heard was vacuum being released. You must have accidently disconnected a vacuum hose while working under the hood.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
285 Posts
If your '95 is like my '87, the vaccum source hose for the HVAC is a little black plastic one that enters the firewall between the heater core hoses.

Once you find it, (it's about 1/8" in diameter, black plastic tubing. You probably knew that) trace it along the firewall until you find the plastic valve it's plugged into.

CAREFULLY disconnect it. You may want to temporarily plug the valve end, too. Start the engine, and remove the temporary plug from the valve, if you put one on. Is there vaccum at the valve? There should be. If not, your vaccum leak is between the intake manifold and that valve. If there is vaccum, the problem lies under the dash.

Let me know what you find; I've got a CD on the '94 and '95 cars, I'll see if I can find you some relevant info.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool.
I'll try it tomorow, since it's 11:50 pm right now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts