Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My first post. Appreciate any insight that can be offered.

I have an 02 Taurus SES with 46K on the clock. No problems to report until this week. Turned the dial to Max A/C a couple of days ago shortly after starting the engine and... nothing. I left it on the setting and began to drive. About 45 seconds later the system activated and began blowing cold air like it should. During those 45 seconds prior, nothing was happening. No clicks, warm air, nothing. Almost like it wasn't turned on at all. This scenario happened again recently and took nearly 60-90 to kick on. (wouldn't activate under normal A/C setting either)

This can't be good. Any thoughts on my demise!?

Thank you!

Mark aka AlBundy

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
There is some delay built in upon initial startup, it is to allow oil pressure to come up before putting additional load on the engine.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by AlBundy@Aug 25 2004, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone. My first post. Appreciate any insight that can be offered.

I have an 02 Taurus SES with 46K on the clock. No problems to report until this week. Turned the dial to Max A/C a couple of days ago shortly after starting the engine and... nothing. I left it on the setting and began to drive. About 45 seconds later the system activated and began blowing cold air like it should. During those 45 seconds prior, nothing was happening. No clicks, warm air, nothing. Almost like it wasn't turned on at all. This scenario happened again recently and took nearly 60-90 to kick on. (wouldn't activate under normal A/C setting either)

This can't be good. Any thoughts on my demise!?

Thank you!

Mark aka AlBundy
Assuming the delay you are writing about is new, I offer the following:

I have a 95 SHO and had similar problems. If I had been parked with the engine idling and and AC on for a period of 5+ minutes, as soon as I drove off and accelerated the compressor clutch disengaged. After 3-10 minutes of driving 30mph+, the clutch re-engaged. This happened almost daily. It wasn't until I was parked and idling at night that I saw a feint glow of the battery light. I had the alternator tested and it was putting out no more than 10 volts. A new alternator fixed the problem.

Check the voltage at your battery terminals when you are experiencing the problem. If the voltage is low, have the alternator and battery tested.

Mark
95 SHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts