Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Sea World today, and on my way there, I heard a whine sound. Kinda like the belt is off the track or something, a muffled vrooo and gets a higher pitch as the engine revvs up.. Then I noticed that at idle, the A/C cuts out. It is REALLY humid here in San Antonio right now, so when it cuts out, you notice you are breathing moist air.. The car is still under warrenty.
Anyone know what is happening?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
IDK, but when I was on the way to trade my 00' SEL in, I was taking it kinda hard through traffic. About 5 miles before I got to the dealer, I noticed that the a/c was blowing warm air. By the time I got there it was starting to cool a little but not much. I am just glad I avoided that repair bill :banana: . Maybe the compressor was overevved?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Could be a clutch cycle switch, or a frozen evaporator.

·
Registered
230 Posts
therer was something on here a while ago about the infamous "taurus whine" i beleive it came from the ac compressor clutch bearings.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I put my car in park, and then put the A/C on MAX and turned it up..
It was still blowing hot air..
I go and open my hood and listin.. I hear my engine, then I hear a CLICK, and my engine bogs down, like the A/C kicked in. Then 2 secs later, it kicks off.. I thought the engine was idleing to slow, so I pressed the gas, and it did the same thing!
Could it possibly be a vaccume line?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is the A/C kicking on and off rapidly?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
You lost your coolant. You most likely have a leak somewhere. Since you still have warranty, have the dealer fix the leak and recharge your system.
I had the same symtoms as you. I fixed the leak and recharged by 1991 with some 25yr old R-12 that I still had left over.

Bob

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like a low charge. Get it in ASAP!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts