Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/C on my '99 Taurus - Vulcan engine crapped out. Apparently the compresor/evaporator (forgot what it's called) needs to be replaced. A cost of about $1200 Cdn. and i DO NOT want to pay that. I actually don't care if I have A/C or not, as long as I can use the heat/Defroster. (I live in Edmonton, AB-Very cold winters) I'm wondering if i can simply bypass the A/C altogether by replacing the the existing belt with a shorter one that won't engage the A/C. Please help, my gas mileage is really sucking because of this, and the engine continuously revs higher about every 5secs. when I have the heat on.

By the way, my Oxygen sensors and everything else is running fine.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Welcome to the club!

You can get a shorter belt, but i would reccomend unplugging the ac compressor connector or one of the pressure switches. Either will keep the system from applying voltage to the clutch.

Brad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, i have another quick question about this......should unplug BOTH the A/C compressor and pressure switch, or will either do the trick, and should I discharge the existing freon or whatever A/C crap is in there first. I just wanna be sure this doesn't come back to haunt me down the road. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hate to jack this thread..but my Ac is kind of weak. The fan is fine but it is not blowing very cold, it blows cool but nearly cold enough for me. I like AC that requires a Jacket! Anyways my car is a 98 duratec. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
just try adding some freon in a can. i just bought a 98 vulcan,it was totally
empty on freon, so i just added 2 cans and now it is blowing ice cubes.
that's the cheap way, or you can take it in and get it tested for about
$49. if it's a slow leak it's easy to just add freon in the can, about
$6 a can. i beleive the system holds only 2 cans.-12oz. wear goggles.
don't use the type w/leak stop because later the mechanics wo'nt
service it, it messes up their equip.
dave

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by Kuletime@Sep 24 2004, 03:46 AM
The A/C on my '99 Taurus - Vulcan engine crapped out. Apparently the compresor/evaporator (forgot what it's called) needs to be replaced. A cost of about $1200 Cdn. and i DO NOT want to pay that. I actually don't care if I have A/C or not, as long as I can use the heat/Defroster. (I live in Edmonton, AB-Very cold winters) I'm wondering if i can simply bypass the A/C altogether by replacing the the existing belt with a shorter one that won't engage the A/C. Please help, my gas mileage is really sucking because of this, and the engine continuously revs higher about every 5secs. when I have the heat on.

By the way, my Oxygen sensors and everything else is running fine.
This is a long shot but works for the GIII V8's. Start the car and turn the A/C to it's coldest setting. Grab a broom stick and gently tap the pulley. If your compressor is of the same design as ours, it may start working again. If it does, there is a small shim that needs to be removed and you'll be GTG. If you were really low on freon, your return line would be icing up. Just a thought.
Also, if it turns out that you have a slo leak in your system, it's cheaper to buy two cans a year than fix it.
Also check both pressure switches to insure they aren't the culprit. If none of the above helps - fubar'd compressor - sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts