Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C has been acting up this past summer and before, I can have new refrigarant put in but by the next summer it only gets cool not cold.
I have a chance to get a compressor that is used, but not very..:D. it is from a Taurus with only 67,00 miles on. It is at a small mom and pop yard so it will be there a while, my question is would this be a good exchange or should I go with something else. I will still get a new reciever/drier..but this would save considerably, on a repair.

·
Super Moderator
8,762 Posts
You obviously have a leak, but from where? Replacing the compressor without knowing if that is where the leak is wont solve anything. There are many places for leaks from leaking fill valves to O ring seals in the lines to the evaporator or condenser.

A 67K mile compressor isnt that young, it is middle age. With all the hassle of changing the comp, evacuating the system, the ever increasing cost of 134a, etc, I would go with a new (not reman) one.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you are sure it is a leaking compressor, you could get a used one and seal kit and replace the seals.

Refrigerant leaks can happen at a number of places - hoses where the fittings are joined by ferrules, the evaporator, the condensor.

A common leak point is the recharging/monitoring ports. The schrader valves have a tendency to leak as they age, particularly when they are opened and closed when using gauges. They should be replaced whenever you are going to have the system open such as replacing the compressor.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK..found a used compressor, was going to get that plus get a new reciever/dryer line. That might fix my leak problem and cure the A/C from blowing hot air when I get in town. Oh.. the A/C compressor is from a Taurus with 12,00 miles on I asked the yard they said it just came in, it was a running vehicle (must have been a "mom and pop" car). Do you guys think that would be an OK compressor since it has only so few miles on, I know used compressors are not always the best, but with that low of mileage..maybe?????

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Before you do ANYTHING, find the source of the leak. If your system is out or low on refrigerant, it doesn't matter whether the compressor is brand new you're not going to have cold air. Why waste your money if your compressor is good, but have a leaking line elsewhere. If it's just a line, replace the line, recharge the system and you'll have cold air and save money. If by chance the compressor is the actual problem (after doing an actual diagnosis), then replace it. Just throwing parts at a problem and hoping it will solve your issue more often then not, does not work.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Dye leak detector kit is your friend, worth the money and will find any and all leaks in the system. Money spent on the kit will save time & MONEY in the long run.
Plus the kit is a multi vehicle tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts