Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 1995 Taurus Wagon, Essex 3.8, AXOD, all the usual options and features. Car has 170K miles, is now a go-to-work beater, I'm not interested in putting a lot of money in it.

THE PROBLEM: A/C compressor seized, fried the clutch, apparently fried the pulley bearings too. Pulley runs free, but is making horrid noises.

THE DESIRED SOLUTION: Remove the AC compressor and install a new idler pulley (some call it a bypass pulley) available for about $30 from all the regular auto parts stores.

THE PROBLEM: 1) Compressor won't come out without removing the radiator;
2) Radiator won't come out without removing the transmission oil cooler lines;
3) Can't get the bottom transmission line off the radiator because the friggin' compressor is in the way!!!

What can I do? Any ideas?
(NO, I'm not taking the power steering pump out... just not going there... wouldn't help anyway)

·
Registered
56 Posts
To remove compressor, you don't need to remove radiator. Instead, remove a power steering pump, as Haynes and shop manual say. Sure it requires special puller to remove pump pulley and device to press it back on shaft (maybe you could rent or borrow them, if not, they are not very expensive at Kragen, for example).
On my 3.0 it worked pretty well (in accordance with manuals, procedure for 3.8 is the same).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (AlexKlm @ Jun 8 2010, 02:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810295
To remove compressor, you don't need to remove radiator. Instead, remove a power steering pump, as Haynes and shop manual say. Sure it requires special puller to remove pump pulley and device to press it back on shaft (maybe you could rent or borrow them, if not, they are not very expensive at Kragen, for example).
On my 3.0 it worked pretty well (in accordance with manuals, procedure for 3.8 is the same).[/b]
That won't do it... the upper left bolt on the compressor won't come out all the way because it hits the side tank on the radiator... radiator must be moved out of the way to get the bolt out... removing the power steering pump doesn't help anything.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the trans cooler lines from the radiator. Remove the radiator hoses, fan and battery, unbolt the radiator, then tilt up the passenger side of the radiator to get at the compressor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jun 8 2010, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810387
You shouldn't have to remove the trans cooler lines from the radiator. Remove the radiator hoses, fan and battery, unbolt the radiator, then tilt up the passenger side of the radiator to get at the compressor.[/b]

Now that's a suggestion I like. I didn't think the transmission lines would move that much, but I'll definitely give that a try.

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds strange. I did it year ago and, as far as I remember, I didn't have to remove bolts before removing compressor. I just unscrewed them from A/C bracket, then removed compressor with bolts.
But that was 3.0, you know.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts