Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Compressor Clutch is going/almost gone, so I'm going to attempt to replace the entire compressor along with the clutch. Is it a hard job to do if i have a buddy help me? Both of us are rather mechanically knowledgable but not pros.

I'd rather not drop the sub frame, so what all needs to be removed in order
to do it from the top? Thanks guys.

Also, will this compressor suffice?
Store Locator | NAPA Online

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
hi,

you may have enough clearance if you unbolt the compressor and tilt it downwards
so you have access to the clutch and just remove it and replace the clutch assembly.
don't forget the shims on the shaft.

I did this on several other fords (tempo, topaz), and saved lot of money
changing just the clutch (comes with new pulley). did not need to recharge the
refrigerant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just did this job on our 2000 Taurus Wagon in June without dropping the subframe, following the factory procedure in the Ford shop manual.

There are some other threads on this forum worth reading, but to be brief, I drained the coolant and removed the upper coolant tubes and radiator fans, washer fluid resevior, battery and tray. I also removed the water pump and replaced the lower coolant hose/tube with a 1.5" x 22" flex hose while it was exposed, the old one looked like it was rusting it's way out and it was easier to get the compressor/clutch out with hose out of the way. Also the t-stat to engine bracket needs to be freed so you have some flexibility getting to the ac manifold bolts. Replaced the suction line/accumulator as well. Got a new orifice for the high line but didn't fit for some reason, so I just cleaned out the existing one and put it back in. When everything else is out and all that is left is the compressor, you have to manipulate the ac compressor out between the engine and radiator, towards the battery side, just watch out for the radiator, it's easy to bump into with the compressor.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i decide to just do the clutch, is it pretty easy to do myself? What all does it entail?
is there a writeup somewhere?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If your going to replace the compressor, you want to flush out the a/c system, esp the condensor and evaporator coils. Replace the dryer. When a/c compressors age, they leave deposits and debris in the system, that is the reason for the system flush, and replaceing the dryer. Have the system evacuated before chargeing the system, to remove moisture traces.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are some good write-ups in this forum you have to search for them, but you're going to find that the ac clutch is almost as expensive as a compressor that comes with one. You're call, but you should consider if the clutch is going low long until the compressor goes. I replaced the compressor and clutch as a unit and didn't have to bother with the air gap setting, just had to check it. Rock auto has the compressor/clutch for about $150 plus shipping. I paid $200 for the one I got because I had to get it from the parts counter.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I decided on replacing the whole compressor with the clutch. I just bought:
Compressor
Compressor clutch
Drier
Orifice Tube
Serpentine belt

all for about $280 shipped... not too bad.
I'm going to attempt to do it on Monday.

Thanks for all the help gentleman!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if this is too late, i had to remove the compressor from my 2000. i first removed the bracket with the A/C hoses ( the compressor was a complete failer) as there was no charge left in it. i then removed the oil filter and slid the unit out throu the bottom on the driver side. i replaced it with a A/C bypass pully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts