Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Taurus with about 225,000 miles on it. I need to recharge my AC but I can not keep the compressor running long enough for it to pull refrigerant into the system. It will only click on for a second and then it shuts off. Is there anyway to hot the compressor and keep it running so it will pull refrigerant into it or am I over looking something. I am using a recharge kit from the parts store which has work on everything else. It is just the simple can with the hose and gauge on it. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't done it on a taurus, but on a dodge I disconnected the pressure switch on the accumulator and used a small piece of wire to short the connector and the compressor would stay on. On a ranger I recently replaced the condenser and pulled a vacuum with a vacuum pump and then hooked up the refrigerant can and it filled fine without jumpering the pressure switch.

How does everyone else do it?

·
Registered
405 Posts
when i know I need the whole can, I just hook the can to the hose,
puncture the can,
hook the hose to the low side refrigerant line,
turn the can upside down
open the valve and shake it til it's empty

·
Registered
619 Posts
Low side service port feeds into accumulator. No worry about liquid getting to compressor. I do it every day in the HVAC trade.

Warm the can before you try adding it to the car. Builds pressure and helps it charge.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
As Josh said, warming the can works wonders.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Accumulator is on the high side downstream of compressor, right? If so, we cannot recommend liquid charging into low side. (doing it myself at my own risk is another matter) Am I confused?

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ Paker, accumulator is always on the low side of the system. It receives vapor and liquid ref. from the evaporator. It contains a desiccant like the receiver-dryer on other systems and separates the liquid from the vapor retaining the liquid and releasing the vapor to the compressor. Evidently i had the routing backassward thinking the charge went towards the evaporator, not away from it. Also, every refill can implores the user to keep the can upright during refill? When the refill port is located directly on the accumulator, i have seen my father-in-law invert the can?

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ Also, i could swear ive seen some set-ups with the refill port after the accumulator in the flow of things unless im thinking of the expansion valve/receiver-dryer system (used by chrysler and some imports) vs. the orifice tube/accumulator system (used by ford and gm).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Just jumper the switch on top of the accumulator.
When you say jumper the switch on top of the accumulator, do you mean the pressure sensor on top of the compressor or somewhere else? Also do you jump the harness side or the switch side? I tried to jump both the harness side and the sensor side on top of the compressor and neither did anything. The plug for the sensor on top of the compressor had four pins.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Not compressor, accumulator. Its the black cannister behind the pass. headlight with a couple of pipes coming out of it and a switch on top. Unplug, and with a paper clip bent u-shaped, jump the 2 terminals in the plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts