Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 sable ohv--Read instructions in Haynes for removing compressor. I looked at compressor and power steering pump under the hood back and fourth.

Haynes says remove power steering hose. Ok I can see that is needed. But I can't see how to remove the compressor (need space)without moving the pump some way.

Please tell me from experience--how to remove compressor. Is it true need only to remove the steering pump line, fan to get compressor to move out and up?

btw--to replace orifice--do i need to replace that entire a/c line because i can't see connections (if any) to open and get at orifice, due to insulation over the line where orifice is located.

Ps--i did ford focus a/c compressor yesterday and just had to drop the compressor from below. A breeze.

scott

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
For the orifice tube you can either replace the entire liquid line or get a orifice tube repair kit, cut out the oricice tube section from the existing line and install the new section of line with the orifice tube in it.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
On my '00 24v the orfice connection is under the foam insulation.
Cut or roll back the insulation and you'll see the 2 nuts where the orfice is located.
When I did my compressor I picked up a O ring kit at Advance, this way I had every O ring just in case, and it was used with spares for the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You dont HAVE to pull the PS to drop the compressor, but it does make it easier to get to. If you are going to do it, go ahead and take the whole PS/alternator bracket off of the engine (remove alternator, remove bolt hidden behind tensioner, remove two nuts, then unscrew the mounting studs from the head) then you can set it to the side and out of the way after unbolting the pressure line from the exhaust manifold stud. If you have some patience and good manual dexterity, you dont need to mess with the PS.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for insights (both of you). After unbolting compressor (03 sable ohv, I prefer not to take out PS/alternator bracket (i wasn't aware that both alt. and PS utilize same bracket). At this point in time I feel more comfortable using manual dexterity to get it out. I always find it troublesome to remove things the isn't definitely necessary to do the job.

My main question/concern is: Is there enough space to maneuver just to the right of it's sitting position and then upwards??

Some guy on a thread, talking about a 99 was saying compressor must be carried to the right all the way to fender and then straight up, but battery and tray must be removed first.

I haven't looked at the ps/alternator bracket in order to take it off but it could be a difficult job to manage.

scott--thank you

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was be great if it could be dropped and pull plastic of bumper cover. I do know there is a subrame below that looks like it would impede me from dropping it down.

It sure would be nice, I mean GREAT if i could drop it down after pulling the plastic from the bumper cover. I have o3 ohv model. Has that been your experience?

Thanks for suggestion--appreciate much--scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts