Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very little room to work, the outer hub will not stay secure without this bolt, causing the a/c clutch to periodically loose it's magnetic field. Other wise the a/c is fine, cools 39/41 degrees. I simply use a paint paddle or yard stick and push it back and everything is ok.
I have put this on other forum with little to no results, just guessing. First, does anyone know what size or the part # of this bolt, some have said it may be a NUT, I cannot see even with a mirror. I'm hopefull that someone has had this problem, I just cannot believe I'm the only one. I've had this 94 GL for over 10 flawless years. I's had this little problem for almost two years, I just know when it stops cooling GRAB THE YARDSTICK, works everytime. Please help me it would be appreciated to know how to do this without taking the compressor off. I was hoping I could take out 3 of the 4 mounting bolts which would let the front of the compressor drop enough to replace the bolt.
david :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
AC clutch has just one bolt. If it is missing, you will not get cold air at all. You will have kaboom. Since all you have to do is to push the clutch toward the spinning mating plate with a broom stick, you have the bolt. Just the gap got a little wider than spec. You may want to put a shim to reduce the gap.

Here is a link to AC clutch image
http://www.auto-air-conditionings.com/Information-clutch/page-16.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC clutch has just one bolt. If it is missing, you will not get cold air at all. You will have kaboom. Since all you have to do is to push the clutch toward the spinning mating plate with a broom stick, you have the bolt. Just the gap got a little wider than spec. You may want to put a shim to reduce the gap.

Here is a link to AC clutch image
Analyzing AC Clutch Failures in the Field--China A/C Clutch Coil Distributor
Thanks for the reply but you are incorrect. I've owned this car for 10 yrs, last two have had this problem. The outer hub is held in place by the outer bolt, the hub/coil is bolted per your link. The outer hub cannot come of due to being close to the frame rail, just comes out far enough to loose the magnet pull to engage the clutch. I have seen other post on the Ford forum with the same problem.
david :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Clutch center bolt is small, last clutch I did came with a new bolt.
4 Seasons brand clutch.
Maybe your local parts store will let you see one in a new kit and match it up for you. Should be enough room to sneak it in providing the old one didn't break off leaving the threads in the shaft.
Junk yard or U pull it yard is a option also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"update on missing bolt"

Picked up the correct bolt @ Ford, comes with loctite already on threads. less than $2.00. Thanks to previous thread from "2006", which required some searching, I have the correct instructions to replace the bolt with Compressor still on the car, special thanks go to "medicTA" for sharing, he is just an example of what this site is all about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I Cannot thank you guys enough. I bought a 1996 Taurus GL last week. Great car with only a few minor problems, and this was one of them.

I bought a M6 bolt at my local hardware store, added some blue loctite, and installed it this morning. I installed the bolt as-is, compressor installed and nothing moved or removed. Using various wrenches, needle nose pliers, and lots of patience I managed to get the bolt in.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's very little room to work, the outer hub will not stay secure without this bolt, causing the a/c clutch to periodically loose it's magnetic field. Other wise the a/c is fine, cools 39/41 degrees. I simply use a paint paddle or yard stick and push it back and everything is ok.
I have put this on other forum with little to no results, just guessing. First, does anyone know what size or the part # of this bolt, some have said it may be a NUT, I cannot see even with a mirror. I'm hopefull that someone has had this problem, I just cannot believe I'm the only one. I've had this 94 GL for over 10 flawless years. I's had this little problem for almost two years, I just know when it stops cooling GRAB THE YARDSTICK, works everytime. Please help me it would be appreciated to know how to do this without taking the compressor off. I was hoping I could take out 3 of the 4 mounting bolts which would let the front of the compressor drop enough to replace the bolt.
I just had this problem the whole bolt came missing so if u put the top clutch plate back with shims should everything be ok I bought a 2005 Taurus with 28k on it and had it for a month and this just happened please help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts