Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i drove to Chicago and back and when I got back I pulled into my friends driveway to drop her off and my car was running really loud and hard and making an odd noise in the engine bay so I popped the hood and narrowed it down to the A/C Condenser area.

This morning I took it to my mechanic and he said that it's my A/C Clutch that needs to be replaced. My A/C blows cold and everything it just makes an annoying sound now from the engine bay. He said not to worry about it unless my A/C stops working or unless the noise gets REALLY loud.

I can get a Motorcraft Clutch for $133 on RockAuto but I wanted to ask:

#1 - What is an A/C Clutch? What does it do?
#2 - Should I just replace it anyways? or just wait till it either stops working or until
the noise gets REALLY loud like the mechanic suggested?

Thanks gentleman!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
........#1 - What is an A/C Clutch? What does it do?..................
AC pulley is driven by a serpentine belt and spins all the time. When you turn AC on, AC clutch mechanically connects the pulley to the compressor. If I find a photo, I will post the link.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace it for that price. It is only going to get worse very quick.
Well, that's not counting labor, and I don't really have the money right now.. at all.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AC pulley is driven by a serpentine belt and spins all the time. When you turn AC on, AC clutch mechanically connects the pulley to the compressor. If I find a photo, I will post the link.
Oh i know what/where it is, I just wasn't sure what it did really.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
It's eventually going to sieze up and either take out the compressor, or snap your belt, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

So I'd replace it if it where me.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
They are pretty easy to change if you can get to the front of the compressor. Just take off the nut and the pulley, clutch and coil pull right off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts