Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an udp for over a year now, seems like ever since the a/c doesn't blow cold unless the rpm's are up over 1k. I have recovered and recharged the freon, no change. I honestly can't remember if the a/c was like this before the udp, but this is annoying because I have a remote start and it's going up over 95 degrees today, I'd like the car to be cooler when I get in it, not blowing warm air until I start driving. Not necessarily warm air, but it definately gets cooler when I get on it. I have been in the car biz for a few years, but no a/c expert. Anyone have/had this issue? Any a/c experts out there? I'm thinking either b/c the udp is preventing the compressor from turning as fast as should or maybe it's the lack of air flow through the condenser?..... but that doesn't make sense b/c other cars I've been in are cold just idling.... and it doesn't have to be moving just revved higher..... idk

·
Registered
138 Posts
A drop in a/c output at idle is to be expected with a UDP. My vulcan with UDP blows about 60 - 65f out the vents at idle in drive sitting at a light. Gets nice and cold while i'm moving though.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Solution - reprogram the car to idle at 1000. :lol2:

I miss the days when you could turn a screw to adjust idle, and it would stay there.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
^^^^ higher idle means more heat genetated in the torque converter when the car is idling in traffic, meaning a hotter tranny = not good. Not to mention increased fuel use at idle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but what is a UDP?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
IIRC, folks have sumplemented this issue by adding an over drive pulley. Something sold by Ranger forum I think?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
udp is a crankshaft underdrive pulley.

bullgeek, I think you're thinking of the altenator overdrive pulley, whereas I'm referring to the a/c compressor not turning fast enough. I had an alt odp.... till the altenator went kaput, changed it out, returned the core with odp still on it... oops

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm going to go back to my corner now... :lol:

Yea wrong component, woops...

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
I have UDP on my 86 Tbird 5.0, and experience a slight loss of AC output at idle speeds, but it isnt super noticable. I think it is a problem you will have to live with or ditch the UDP.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'd like to get into a cold car on these hundo degree days.. (of course now it's the 60's, ya don't like the weatha in new england just a wait a few owahs)... so I'm thinkin the stock pulley and belt will go back on for the summer. I'll let ya know if it confirms the udp is the reason!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts