Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Taurus wagon. All was okay. Turn it on, get cold air, no problems. 2 Days ago I turned on the a/c as usual, using the dial on the right and set to maximum- as I always do. I then turned on the left dial for the blower. THERE IS SOUND, and as I move the dial clockwise to higher speeds, I hear the sound/fan increase as always but no air is coming out. I tested each setting on the fan, nothing coming in at each setting.There seems to be a slight seeping of cold air.
So lots of questions.....
1. It is almost as if there is a blockage to prevent the air from coming in. I looked under the hood and on the passenger side there is a slight billowing down of what looks like insulation right under the windshield, but whether that has anything to do with it- I have no idea.
2. The sound makes me think the fan is turning but why there is no air coming out the vents- no idea.
3. The cold air, just barely seeping out makes me "think" the air conditioner itself is okay but I don't really know.
4. I've done some You Tube viewing, there seems to be one relay/switch behind the glove compartment and I'm not sure about a second in the relay box under the hood.
Ideally, what I'd appreciate is a "walk through" of help. That is, someone tell me
a. First do this or that. If it is this,,,then try "X", if it is that, then try "Y"
b. Next, do such and such...
The idea is to diagnose what the problem is. If all I have to do is replace a switch/relay, etc. then I can do that but if it is something more complicated, I'll probably take it to a shop.
Also, if in testing things I need to disconnect the battery or any other safe guards- all help very much appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would start with dropping the fan motor (3 bolts I believe) and bench checking it to see if it is turning and if there is blockage (common in some areas) in the ducts. It resides right behind the glove box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts