Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mild mods can I do to my v8 sho. A side of cold air and exsaust, I'm told that befor I use nos I have to wed my cams I don't wanna get into the motor. Programmers, diffrent spark pugs or coils.

·
Registered
84 Posts
not much you can do man, they make a tuner from SCT i hear hypertech has one now too, not sure though, theres a sport clutch assembly for it you can get on Summit, better plugs, colder or hotter depending on if you run nos or not, intake has to be done right if you want results or it wont do anything at all, so get a real tube into the fender or something, cutting out the third cat and throwing on some flowmasters or something is a good mod too, noticeable gain but nothing major, awsome sound though. dont mean to be a jerk but that cars a dead end, i know i have one modded with everything i listed plus a shift kit. im just going to either turbo it or rip the engine apart, get it ported 40-60 over which is possible, the cylander walls will take it they are pretty damn thick, even for aluminum. and custom pistons, but that will cost me about 2200.... most of anything will on this car if you want a decent gain. Theres just no aftermarket parts readily available on the performance side. im runnin 13.8 in a GTP in about 800 more cash where as my sho with all those mods is running 15.2 on a good day. though i think the sending unit may be history along with 2 lifters. engine in pieces and im inspecting that as we speak.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You need to get your cams welded regardless of what you might want to kill with it. If you don't get them welded, when your cam sprockets spin the only thing that's going to be killed is your engine.

·
Registered
809 Posts
From what I have read here on the forum, all SHO's should have their cams welded. They have a high rate of failure if not welded and the engine will be junk if they fail. :dunno: Do some research and some of the guys here can steer you to a good shop to have them welded.

·
Registered
84 Posts
no gaurentee they will fail but i hear its a 60 some odd percent chance, not worth it imo, i dunno the car is better stock and unbothered, id keep it that way hadnt i already messed it up. article i read is projecting the car to double in bluebook in about 7 years so. might not hurt either to pull off a valve cover and jot down the serial number on the cams in there, i did that only to find out mine were aftermarket "fix" cams so ill blame it all on ford if it blows and get some cash from them. otherwise im at 122,000 fresh off a rebuild over winter of the entire engine and trans all seals and gaskets remachined. and my cams look brand new. but pay no mind to my luck i have a dead lifter or 2 haha. anyway, get em welded that cars a dime and they are dissapearing quickly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a beat down, probley in my best intrest to just flow it out than intake exaust and mabey a tunner, anybody know were I can get a sct tunner and part number from

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (Kearsarge @ Jun 6 2010, 12:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809724
no gaurentee they will fail but i hear its a 60 some odd percent chance, not worth it imo, i dunno the car is better stock and unbothered, id keep it that way hadnt i already messed it up. article i read is projecting the car to double in bluebook in about 7 years so. might not hurt either to pull off a valve cover and jot down the serial number on the cams in there, i did that only to find out mine were aftermarket "fix" cams so ill blame it all on ford if it blows and get some cash from them. otherwise im at 122,000 fresh off a rebuild over winter of the entire engine and trans all seals and gaskets remachined. and my cams look brand new. but pay no mind to my luck i have a dead lifter or 2 haha. anyway, get em welded that cars a dime and they are dissapearing quickly[/b]
its more like a 100 percent chance that the cams will fail if not fixed....it is absolutely imperative that you get them welded...V8sho.com has alot of good info on who you can go to to get that done and they have alot of other ideas for performance upgrades and maintaince..and if they do blow there will be NO money coming from ford because there was a class action lawsuit filed against ford for the cam fail and ford won

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Ported intake manifolds
Underdrive pulley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts