Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to your site, however I'm not new to fixin' old cars. I recently got a 99 taurus wagon 3.0 with 168,000 well maintained miles (neighbors car). Anyway, I noticed that the heater works like a fart......so I'm gonna do Oldwagons "Clinton Flush". However, while checking out his instructions, I found that the "pipe work" involved around the heater core is quite rusty, and while the car was running I noticed a small puff of steam from where one of the metal tees meet. I figure it's rusted a pin hole in the pipe, although there is no sign of actual leaking, other than an occasional puff. I don't even smell the common stink usually involved with an anti freeze leak.
Well, I want to fix it right, and was wondering if replacing the pipe work with Home depot tees and hose would harm anything else? I can see where it connects to the heater core, but don't know why or where it runs to on the drivers side. Any suggestions....

Thx

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Welcome to the site!

As you suggest, just replace the T;s with parts from the hardware store, or find some plastic barbed T fittings at the hardware store or the auto parts store.

If other hard lines for the heater are rusted / rotted, it is pretty common practice to just replace with heater hose and zip tie the hose out of the way of moving parts, the exhaust manifolds, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts