Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 99 SE with Vulcan. This car has had a "throaty" sound on acceleration the whole time I have owned it. Sounds like my old quadrajet in my truck (sort of) when I punched the secondaries. Also is only getting about 21 MPH with mainly highway driving. The silencer is there.

This is my 4th Taurus, all were vulcans, and is the only one with this sound, and the worst mileage. It is not a FF engine.

Can a cam synchronizer out of time cause this? It recently is having starting issues (missing/dying until reved up). Had the chirping sound a few months ago, but quit.

No codes on vehicle. Miles = 187K

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
QUOTE (Yoda @ Mar 15 2009, 01:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708774
Have a 99 SE with Vulcan. This car has had a "throaty" sound on acceleration the whole time I have owned it. Sounds like my old quadrajet in my truck (sort of) when I punched the secondaries. Also is only getting about 21 MPH with mainly highway driving. The silencer is there.

This is my 4th Taurus, all were vulcans, and is the only one with this sound, and the worst mileage. It is not a FF engine.

Can a cam synchronizer out of time cause this? It recently is having starting issues (missing/dying until reved up). Had the chirping sound a few months ago, but quit.

No codes on vehicle. Miles = 187K[/b]
Just push the gas harder and it will go faster! :rolleyes2:

Now if it's MPG that you're worried about, try checking your air filter. If it's clogged or dirty that could be the cause of your sound and your loss in fuel milage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, since it has 188K miles, I decided to change the synchronizer as a preventive maint.

Set engine to TDC, pulled the cam sensor, and found the "tooth" was not in the center of the cut out of the synchronizer. It was about 30 deg retarded. Put in the new syncho, set it at the center of the window, and went for a drive. The "throaty" sound is much reduced, and it has a LOT better performance and power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts