Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I noticed my Taurus acting like it wanted to bolt forward when I would let the brake off at stop signs. It would also slip out of gear when I was going around certain corners. I checked my transmission fluid and it was low, so I looked under the car and noticed it was dripping fluid. Upon opening the hood I noticed a pipe/valve/whatever you want to call it that runs the trans fluid to the radiator was dripping fluid when the car was running.

My question is how do I go about fixing this? The nearest (worthy) mechanic is pretty far away and I really don't want to be driving this with how bad it's leaking. It looks like a seal or something, but I have no idea on what to do. Anyways, here's some pictures of what is actually leaking if you're not sure about what I'm talking about:

(it's leaking where the bolt is, not the actual pipe.)

General area, it's located under/near the battery:

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Replace it with 3/8" rubber hose. You can either cut the steel lines as they come out of the tranny or use brass hose barbs screwed into the tranny. The thread size needed is 1/4" mNPT x 3/8" hose barb.

This is an upgrade anyway as the factory steel lines are very restrictive. Some say use transmission fluid hose but I have never had a problem using fuel line rubber hose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so far I've got the battery and cage out so I can see what I'm doing under there. So I'd just go cut the original metal piping, unscrew the clamps from the transmission and replace the about 4-5" of pipe with hose and the new clamps? Then tighten the clamps down on the new tubing and I'm good to go (after filling my transmission fluid) correct?

Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about cars :p

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would replace the hose up to the aux cooler and get rid of all the steel pipe along the subframe.

The pipe will swivel in the factory fittings. So if you can get a wrench on the fittings then you can leave the pipe as is.

Here's a picture of the setup on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. I'm having one of my friends dad come over and check it out later with me, just to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thank you for your help :) I will let you know of my outcome.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you have an AX4S then the hot and cold lines are reversed IIRC but it really makes little difference.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you replace the factory fitting with the hose barb like SHOZ123 suggested...than make sure you put some sort of thread sealant/locker on the threads that screw into the tranny...otherwise, when the fluid heats up...it'll seep out of the fitting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a guy I used to work with that has built a few cars in the past come by and check it out. After looking at it he said he would have to go get a quick disconnect tool to release or decompress the pipe from the coupling. I waited a couple days for him to show up and decided to email him, he responded and said:

the two plastic tabs are to be simply squeezed simultaneously, then the tube extracted from the coupler. There are O-rings on the end of the tube. They are either damaged (most likely), or the tube is cracked, or the coupler is damaged. Try and squeeze the tabs and get the tube out and see what you are up against.[/b]
I squeezed around on the plastic tabs for a bit with no luck. I'm thinking I still need the tool to decompress whatever is holding the pipe into the coupling. Does this sound right? I mean, I really don't feel comfortable cutting around on my car, and it doesn't seem to be the actual coupling that is leaking. It leaking around the pipe. Like it's not sealed up good. My fluid is also really dark.

Sorry if I'm reviving this and it's too old or something, but I have nothing to do for the next couple days so this will be itching to get fixed. :p

·
Registered
834 Posts
Take a look at the picture I edited of yours below...
[attachment=29272:Trans.coolerline.jpg]

...remove the metal safety clip that the yellow arrow is pointing at...then squeeze the two tabs together and pull the nipple from the hose out of the fitting...this is what the fitting looks like out of the transmission, with no hose in it...
[attachment=29273:Trans.fitting.jpeg]

...Hopes this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have all the clips removed, and I tried squeezing those tabs for about an hour yesterday. Up until the point my fingers couldn't handle it anymore. I squeeze them and it's almost like it's not even releasing any of the pressure on the pipe. The bar that the battery cage is screwed into is also in the way and it makes it very tough to move already. The bar is welded to the frame so you can't move it or take it off.

I guess I'll go back out there and try it some more, with some luck hopefully. I don't want to break them lol.

:: Edit ::
Me and my stepdad both tried it together. One squeezed while the other tried pulling the pipe. Nothing. Err

·
Registered
834 Posts
Some dirt or grime might have worked its way into the fitting and is now making it hard to squeeze...perhaps squirting something in there, to loosen up the dirt or whatever is making it stuck, will help.... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The fittings will rotate on the line. If you can get a wrench on them just take the fitting and the line off as one piece. IIRC that is what I did back in the day.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking about taking the whole thing off in one piece, since it didn't look like that would hurt it. I'll have to go look in my mess of tools to see if I can find the right size.

:: EDIT ::

Okay I got the bolt out of the tranny. Now where the metal pipe connects to the rubber hose, do I just lift the barbs up with something and it should release the rubber hose from the metal pipe?

EDIT ::

Bolt out of tranny:

The connection I'm talking about (metal to rubber):

·
Registered
834 Posts
QUOTE (TwiZted @ Apr 24 2009, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720198
After tugging on it with the bolt out of the transmission, bam. It came off, but not easily. This is all that came out:

[/b]
Man that thing really fell apart...are you gonna replace that part with a 1/4" mNPT x 3/8" hose barb like SHOZ123 suggested in the 2nd post?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably not for a while. I cleaned the pipe up and it looks almost new and is still in good shape as of right now. Once I get more money I may in the near future though.

Anyways, do I just goto my local auto store and buy the new bolt? Is that all I'll need? Or is there a couple small things I'll have to buy along with it. In other words, is the o-rings and all that snaz built into the bolt already?

·
Registered
834 Posts
QUOTE (TwiZted @ Apr 24 2009, 02:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720224
Probably not for a while. I cleaned the pipe up and it looks almost new and is still in good shape as of right now. Once I get more money I may in the near future though.

Anyways, do I just goto my local auto store and buy the new bolt? Is that all I'll need? Or is there a couple small things I'll have to buy along with it. In other words, is the o-rings and all that snaz built into the bolt already?[/b]
Buy the new bolt at any auto parts store...It comes all together...it'll look like the pic I posted earlier of a "new" one from the rockauto website. It usually comes with some sort of thread locker painted on the threads (the red stuff on the threads in the pic)...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okie dokie. That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure before I drove out there. I'd ask the people at the auto shop but a lot of the time they don't know very much about cars or they can barely speak English (at the one I'm going to run too)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts