Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have been searching through this site and others on the web and have not found much on my problem. I have a 1999 Taurus with the 3.0L Vulcan. Recently I have had a problem where the car does not start after it has been driven for a while. It seems a little sluggish on the start when cold, but after warming up it clicks once and then no other noise. Once it cools off (usually takes an hour or more) it will sound very sluggish when trying to start and then nothing. Wait another hour and you get a very sluggish start.

The odd thing is that it runs great once it is started. There does not appear to be an idle or fuel issues after it starts. In fact, I have driven it for over an hour after starting it and had no problems; but once I shut it off it will not start again for a couple hours.

I did get a P0402 error code recently and replaced the DPFE but that did not have any affect on the starting issue. I have also had the battery tested and it is working as it should.

My next step is to test the starter and see if there are any issues there; however, if you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks for the time and help!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Sounds like you got it covered. I would make absolutely sure the connections at the battery are good, especially if you've had them removed recently. Also, check the small wire going to the solenoid on the starter, our '03 sometimes slips off slightly causing a hard start. I finally ended up putting silicone on the connector, and have not had the problem again.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So you mean by sluggish that it cranks over pretty slowly? And when it's warm, it won't crank at all? If that's the case, then you need a new starter. It won't crank when it's warm because the heat increases the resistance in the windings in the starter, which makes it have to work harder to crank. Since it's already barely working, that extra load from the heat overcomes what little power the starter has left. It's also a common problem on some cars, especially older muscle cars, with aftermarket headers - a buddy with an old Camaro had to make a heat shield for his starter cuz after driving the car for any length of time, the heat from his headers would overheat the starter and it wouldn't crank until it cooled off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it was cranking pretty slowly. Thanks for the info on why it would not crank when hot - that make sense.

I actually pulled the starter last night and took it in to get tested - it failed miserably. I was able to get a new one; however, I did not have the time to replace it yet.

I did find out a few other interesting things though. The previous owner was not very careful in the oil changes (the filter being directly above the starter) and the starter was covered in oil and grime. Also, the replacement starter came with a new connector and a note that Ford acknowledges a problem with it possibly causing premature failure.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will get the new starter installed and all will be right with my Taurus again. :D

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final update: I installed the new starter last night and it started better than it ever has (we have only had it for about 5k miles). Ran a few errands, went to dinner and a movie with the wife and it started up perfectly every time.

Looks like I have a full functional Taurus again. :banana:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oily Starter

Just replaced my starter on a 3.0 1999 Taurus. Mechanic said he worked for Ford and replaced lots of starters on Taurus' because the oil filter is right above the starter and drips oil over time and ruins the starter. Does anyone know of a fix such as a shield that would protect the starter from the dripping oil?

marshalljt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for a permanent solution. I can fake it, I thought someone might have already come up with something that could be mounted permanently since it is a common problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1999 Ford Taurus SE not starting, PLEASE HELP

hey guys, i have a problem with my 1999 Taurus SE 24V DOHC. It just all of a sudden shut off in a drive thru. I had it towed home because it wouldn't start. i checked the fuel pump relay and its fine. i even changed the fuel filter. while changing the fuel filter i tried starting the car to make sure there wasn't any gunk in my gas tank and there wasn't. also by doing that i know that the fuel pump was working. it will start for bout 1-5 seconds if i spray starter fluid into the air intake, but i know its bad for the cylinders so i only did it about 2 times. oh and i forgot to say it turns over fine without any hesitations. Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
rylindsey091
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing