Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 99 Taurus for my 16 yo son. Known issues when I bought it were non-working heat (fixed in one day thanks to this site), and non-working turn signals.

Been looking at this one a bit and not sure what to r/r.

Symptoms are as follows.

Most of the time neither the turn signals, nor the hazard flashers work. Today However, when I was checking out the heat, out of habit I flipped on the turn signal and viola, it worked! For a few seconds, then stopped. Tried it again, nothing. One more time and it blinked twice then stopped. Tried turning on the hazard flashers and nothing. Turned on the turn signal, and it worked. While it was blinking, turned on the flashers and they worked!

It seemed to come and go at random. Does this sound like an issue with the flasher relay? Doesn't seem like it would be the MFS with the hazards linked to it?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Hazards are part of the MFS. Sounds like a MFS problem to me. If I had a dollar for every MFS I have replaced on a Ford in the last 35 years...... you know the rest of that statement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hazards are part of the MFS. Sounds like a MFS problem to me. If I had a dollar for every MFS I have replaced on a Ford in the last 35 years...... you know the rest of that statement.
Thanks. I'll give this a shot. Thanks to this site, I think I should be able to handle it.

Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out it was the flasher

Replaced the MFS switch and no change. Hardest part of this was getting the ignition switch out. I'm not real flexible and couldn't look up that tiny little hole to see where the release button was.

Finally just played with it a while and it finally came out.

Once i got that out, replacing the switch was pretty easy. (I really hate that plastic pry off catches, especially on a car this old (1999). These seemed real brittle, and even though I was being careful I could see them starting to crack. Finally managed to get them off without breaking and replaced the switch.

Total time from start to finish was a little more than an hour.

Unfortunately, no change in the symptoms.

Bought a $12 flasher, put it in and now all the lights are working.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Replaced the MFS switch and no change. Hardest part of this was getting the ignition switch out. I'm not real flexible and couldn't look up that tiny little hole to see where the release button was.

Finally just played with it a while and it finally came out.

Once i got that out, replacing the switch was pretty easy. (I really hate that plastic pry off catches, especially on a car this old (1999). These seemed real brittle, and even though I was being careful I could see them starting to crack. Finally managed to get them off without breaking and replaced the switch.

Total time from start to finish was a little more than an hour.

Unfortunately, no change in the symptoms.

Bought a $12 flasher, put it in and now all the lights are working.
Note to self: change flasher module first next time....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that occurred to me as well.

Fortunately, I ordered the MFS online and only paid about 30 bucks for it, so I don't feel like I overspent too badly.

And since I now own 3 Taurus's (how do you say this as plural? Taurus') and an 02 Sable that I'm beginning to work on, any r/r activity I do is being chalked up as a good learning experience.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: 99 Taurus with intermitten turn signal problem

I, too, started having this problem last week. I paid off my '99 Taurus on Tuesday, 7/5, and the turn signals and hazards stopped working the next afternoon. Can't say I didn't expect it. Anyway, I replaced the multifunction switch and that didn't fix the problem - signals and hazards still won't work. I can hear a "click" when I actuate the lever and the fuses are all intact, so I got an electronic flasher module with the hope that would fix it. Unfortunately, I can't find the damned flasher module under the dash. It doesn't seem to be part of the fuse box from what I've seen - I actually can't find anything like it nearby.

Since you have the same year and model, do you remember where you found the flasher unit? I'm on my second sweat-soaked day trying to find the devil, and my hip and back are starting to lose their patience with me. ._. Thx.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ugh, I should’ve come here first, but just ordered (like 10 minutes ago) a new turn signal/wiper switch for my 97 Taurus GL, thinking that might be my problem.

Five years ago, the only issue was my hazard light. If I turned it on, it’d wipe out both blinkers for 1-2 days. I haven’t turned on the hazard since, but two years ago, the right blinker started failing intermittently – sometimes the dash light would blink fast, stay continuously lit, or not light up at all. It always stays continuously lit when the parking or headlights are on. I replaced the flasher, but that didn’t help (and all of my exterior bulbs were good). Then the left blinker started failing – just goes out – no dash light. Now I have no blinkers at all, and neither light up on the dash.

Does this sound like a loose connector? I never adjust my tilt steering – always stays in the lowest position. Where is the multifunction switch?

·
Registered
73 Posts
... Hardest part of this was getting the ignition switch out. ...
I had the same problem. I thought I could skip that step, so I dove for the MFS, but it was attached with two weird-looking bolts that obviously didn't respond to a Phillip's head or Allen wrench. And, I realized there was no way I could even get to the lower bolt unless I removed the ignition switch or broke off the lower column cover. So, I gave up because I was on my way out-of-town and reassembled the steering column cover. Go figure, the blinkers started working again. (I did check the connection, and it wasn't loose - strange.)

I have since learned that most Fords require star bits. So that's what those suckers are - had a whole set of them and never a use, so I buried them in a box and forgot I even had them. Anyway, I'll reattempt my MFS install next week.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Sometimes these issues can be resolved by spraying wd-40 with red ext. straw attached down the sides of the hazard switch and pushing it off and on several times. Or by dismantling and cleaning the mfs per instructions in the topic finder and/or wiki.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Share the same flashe

Agree. My original problem had both the turn signals and flasher not working. When I replaced the flasher, it fixed both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the same problem. I thought I could skip that step, so I dove for the MFS, but it was attached with two weird-looking bolts that obviously didn't respond to a Phillip's head or Allen wrench. And, I realized there was no way I could even get to the lower bolt unless I removed the ignition switch or broke off the lower column cover. So, I gave up because I was on my way out-of-town and reassembled the steering column cover. Go figure, the blinkers started working again. (I did check the connection, and it wasn't loose - strange.)

I have since learned that most Fords require star bits. So that's what those suckers are - had a whole set of them and never a use, so I buried them in a box and forgot I even had them. Anyway, I'll reattempt my MFS install next week.

FYI, removing the ignition switch is easy (assuming you have the key!:lol2:

There are four holes on the bottom of the steering column cover. Three are screw holes that hold it in place, and the fourth is directly beneath the ignition switch, and is for removing it. Stick a phillips head screw driving in that hole and use your key to turn the ignition. (Did I mention disconnect the battery first?). There's a small pressure knob on the ignition switch, which you must push in with your screwdriver while turning the key. It will release the ignition switch and it will come right out. After that the 3 screws will release the bottom half of the steering wheel cover.

This will enable you to get to the MFS switch.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts

I guess that's why they call it a MF switch. :lol2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.