1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Taurus
3.0 OHV (Vulcan)
104k miles

A leaking head freeze plug eventually led to overheating, blown head gasket and a burned spark plug.

Just got finished working on the car. Replaced the following...

head gaskets
intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
timing chain
timing chain cover gasket and seal
water pump
water pump gasket
oil pan gasket
thermostat
spark plugs and spark plug wires
lower radiator hose
radiator cap

Replaced the oil and oil filter, power steering fluid (drained it when I removed the power steering pump) and coolant. Completely flushed cooling system (including heater core) and refilled with 50/50 mix Prestone anti-freeze.

Car runs great now, except for a rough idle. At over 1200rpm, car runs like brand new. At idle, in any gear, car stumbles between 700 and 900rpm, and will sometimes stall. Has a rough idle at any temperature, either cold or hot.

No warpage was detected, and heads and valves looked great.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Aug 22 2004, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can guess that it might be the o2 sensors, they could cause some sort of rough idle, I believe. (And welcome to the club!!)
I was thinking the possibility of the O2 sensors. I had to limp it home with a misfiring cylinder (due to the spark plug burning out) and thought I might have fouled the sensors.

I don't have a check engine light, but I'll have the car checked for codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Aug 22 2004, 07:38 PM
Did you use new head studs when you put the car back together?
Definitely. Also new lower intake manifold bolts (looked too corroded from water jacket exposure to be used again).

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
make sure its not something dumb like an unplugged sensor. When I replaced my headgaskets my timing was off after I Replaced the distributor. That won't be an issue on yours. Make sure the Maf and air hose assembly are reinstalled too. Make sure your IAC is plugged in too. Other than that I am not sure..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Aug 22 2004, 10:00 PM
make sure its not something dumb like an unplugged sensor.  When I replaced my headgaskets my timing was off after I Replaced the distributor.  That won't be an issue on yours.  Make sure the Maf and air hose assembly are reinstalled too.  Make sure your IAC is plugged in too.  Other than that I am not sure..
I doublechecked all the sensors, none are unplugged.

Just got back from Advance Auto Parts (needed to get a new radiator cap) and had these codes pulled. Definitely looks like a bad O2 sensor

P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient

P1151 - HO2S Bank 2 Sen 1
Insuff. Switching
Lean Mean

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2)

P1000 - OBD System Readiness Test
Not Complete

I'll take the EGR valve off and clean it out, that might take care of the first code. The O2 sensor will probably have to be replaced, so I'll do that when I've got money again (next payday) and hopefully, replacing the O2 sensor will solve the too lean condition. Don't know what the last one means, any ideas?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by darkflounder+Aug 23 2004, 08:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (darkflounder @ Aug 23 2004, 08:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Zeptoplix@Aug 22 2004, 10:00 PM
make sure its not something dumb like an unplugged sensor.  When I replaced my headgaskets my timing was off after I Replaced the distributor.  That won't be an issue on yours.  Make sure the Maf and air hose assembly are reinstalled too.  Make sure your IAC is plugged in too.  Other than that I am not sure..
I doublechecked all the sensors, none are unplugged.

Just got back from Advance Auto Parts (needed to get a new radiator cap) and had these codes pulled. Definitely looks like a bad O2 sensor

P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient

P1151 - HO2S Bank 2 Sen 1
Insuff. Switching
Lean Mean

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2)

P1000 - OBD System Readiness Test
Not Complete

I'll take the EGR valve off and clean it out, that might take care of the first code. The O2 sensor will probably have to be replaced, so I'll do that when I've got money again (next payday) and hopefully, replacing the O2 sensor will solve the too lean condition. Don't know what the last one means, any ideas? [/b][/quote]
Check the connection on the rear cat forward sensor it seems like it isn't connected to the computer or the wires are damaged.

The last code probably means it couldn't run the test because it couldn't get a reading from the o2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello darkflounder, have you found the problem yet. I changed the head gaskets on my 93 and am having the same problems, to the T. Please post the fix , Thank you, Doug. I am going to check all the wires and hose for loose connections tommorro, but any more input on this would be appreciated.

G

·
Usually a lean code on both banks means a vacuum leak after the MAF. Check and double check for vacuum leaks at the hoses, intake gasket, EGR, and IAC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts