Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rating should I really get? I live in OH and winter is here. My current battery is Energizer E36R 810 CA 650 CCA (bought based on Sam's Club manual) in Oct. 2007.

Last night the battery is fully charged but couldn't start this morning. Meter read 12.66V. Got a jump from a friend and it started right away. Alternator and Starter are checked out to be good.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,412 Posts
I know a battery guy here in my city. He said get the most you can..you can never have enough. He sold me a 850 CCA and it works great even in the coldest weather here in Michigan, and I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Are you sure its not the starter? How could you have tested it on the car?

I wouldn't rule it out just by the fact that the jump got it started.

Could also be a bad connection

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure its not the starter? How could you have tested it on the car?

I wouldn't rule it out just by the fact that the jump got it started.

Could also be a bad connection
Spent 3 hours tested everything and I can rule out alternator and bad connection.

Yeah, sounds like the starter is getting weak and requires a near perfect power source when it gets that cold. What oil are you running?
PenZoil High Mileage 5W30. Yeah right now im thinking either a weak starter or weak battery (Energizer 650 CCA 3 yrs old with lots of short trip due to I live close to work 10 mins drive)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Find some place to do a load test, that will be much cheaper than buying a new starter and then having to buy a new battery also, although if you have the money replacing both isn't a bad idea, since the location of the starter getting covered in oil can cause them to go out. My 99 Bull is on its 4th starter by 126k but i am keeping it dry now.

If you have a warranty on either the starter or battery you could start there by getting a replacement part or pro-rated replacement.

Replacing the battery every 3 years as maintenance before they die is a good way to keep the alternator alive, because a dead battery will kill your alternator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.