Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go around spend a bunch of money I thought I check one last time here.
I bought (from auction like a dumbass) a 99 Taurus SE 3.0L with automatic transmission which has major problems shifting.
- When I put in OD, the car behaves as if it's in neutral, no shifting out of park.
- When I put in D, the car hesitates, engine revs, shudders and then shifts out of park.
- When I put in 1, the car behaves as if it's in neutral.
- Once shifted out of park in D, the car shifts and drives without any problem. Even some BMWs has tough time keeping up with it on interstate.
-Checked the trans fluid and it's fresh, someone must have changed it.

Apparently, the auctioneer declared the car had a bad transmission. I didn't hear it and went ahead bid $1800 on it. This was my first time to a car auction.

How do I get out of this mess?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It's only been an hour. I'd say your SOL with your purchase. $1800 doesn't sound too bad for a car. With the money you saved from buying a functioning car, maybe you can get a new tranny. When you say it's acting like it's in nuetral, does it roll back on inclines?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it rolls back on incline. Other than the transmission, car is in excellent condition with 98K miles on it. I did a carfax check on it (after auction) and it even passed inspection on 2/2004 and service done 4/2004.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was afraid of that. But that's what we'll have to do.
I see some rebuilt transmissions on ebay. Are they any good?
What's a good place to get it installed?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I don't know much about the rebuilt trannies on eBay, although I have considered purchasing one myself. I believe they ship from Phoenix.

Any competent mechanic should be able to remove and replace a transmission. Remember that you are paying for the labor of two jobs, remove and reinstall. I only mention this because I find that many people do not realize this fact when they take their car to a mechanic. I'm not sure of the time, but I assume it's around 3 hours each way. My friend's shop charges $80/hr (but that is high for the area). You might spend as much as $500 for installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey There I am new to this Club but hey I have been driving a 97 GL since new. I recently had to change the Plastic bushing that connects the colom shifter to the Shift position sensor under the brake cyclinder on top of the transmission. my car did the same thing and the problem was that the shift position sensor was not where it should have been because the bushing had broken causing the cable end to not push the sensor arm far enough.

It worked out for me, maybe some of your problem too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with terminator69. Before you consider spending large on a tranny, check the shifter linkage to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts