Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 that I am reviving to make a daily driver. It has been sitting since 'early '09 when I deployed to Iraq. We bought my wife a different car in late '08.

I got a new battery from WalMart and started it up, seems to idle fine at just below 1000 RPM.

I am changing the oil this weekend, should I put in an oil treatment to help out the engine since it's been sitting for a few years? I am worried about rings and oil consumption, seals, etc.

There was white steamy exhaust the whole time I idled the car. It didn't smell bad, though. Could this be from burning the gas that has been in the car since '08?

What kind of fuel or tank treatment do you recommend?

I had to add ATF just to get it moving back and forth in the driveway. What kind of treatment can I do to seal the tranny back up?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It could just be condensation that was in the car from sitting. Iwould only worry if it continues.

I would try Auto RX to clean out the engine if you are worried. You can only get it online.

I just brought back a SHO back to life that had beensitting for a few years. It had no compression but I got it to start by putting oil into the sprak plug wells and well this is what happened:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've gone through the EZ Topic finder and there wasn't much information about what to do with a car that's been sitting for so long.

I'll keep going through the threads here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought an 87 Mustang a couple years ago that had been sitting for about 5 years. It blew white smoke when I first got it running again. My brother in law told me to pour same tranny fluid into the intake to bring the valve seals back to life. As soon as the smoke cleared from burning off the tranny fluid, the smoke stopped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought an 87 Mustang a couple years ago that had been sitting for about 5 years. It blew white smoke when I first got it running again. My brother in law told me to pour same tranny fluid into the intake to bring the valve seals back to life. As soon as the smoke cleared from burning off the tranny fluid, the smoke stopped.
It doesn't seem to be doing it today. Yesterday was pretty chilly, today it is almost 70 and I let it idle up to temperature again today, no white exhaust.

For future reference, how much tranny fluid (auto trans fluid??) did you have to use?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lack of a lubricating surface on moving parts

was probably the biggest concern but since you have already started and run it, that's moot.

It might have been better to pull the plugs and add a little transmission fluid/oil in the cylinders and crank the engine without starting it just to get lubrication on the cylinder walls. After such a long time, the oil has probably settled out of all the places it should be, maybe even gummed a bit from any moisture present - that likely is what caused your white smoke.

Certainly you will want to change your oil ASAP - in fact, all the fluids with the exception of the PS should be changed immediately with that to follow shortly. This would include your brake fluid.

Using the guidance in the sticky on flushing the transmission would be a very good thing to do - replacing the transmission filter and making sure as much of the fluid is replaced with new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts