Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Taurus runs well. About a year ago I had to have the intake manifold changed as the thermostat housing cracked and leaked. Since then I have been getting a P1309 code. From what I have read it is related to the cam position sensor. So I changed the sensor. Still getting the code.
In reading some more about it, perhaps the synchronizing of the cam was off a bit. I bought the tool to synchronize it, set #1 cylinder to TDC, as shown on the balancer (hard to read). Then pulled the sensor off the cam shaft synchro. I expected to see it close to aligned, but maybe off a few degrees (the reason for the code). It however, was way off, I guess to say around 60 degrees in the cam shaft synchro. Is this possible and still run decent? Is it possible that the shop installed it incorrectly and still run? Could it have been 'timed' to a different cylinder?

Also, with the timing marks so hard to read on the balancer, any suggestions on finding TDC on #1 cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
There are 3 different tools for alignment, depending on year. Maybe the shop used the wrong one?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Remove #1 plug and rotate till you get compression, then advance slowly to the mark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts