Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Just picked up a '99 Taurus Sedan 3.0L Vulcan for $500. On the 10 mile drive home i noticed the temp gauge bouncing between 3/4 and hot, but i did not hear the fans running, so i really didn't think any thing of it. (The last two Taurus's that were in the family always had goofy temp gauges) The last mile or so down my road is 25 mph, so i putt along and i see the temp gauge pegged. I whip into the driveway, shut the car off, and watch the steam pour out from the coolant reservoir. I let it cool about 5 minutes, (which does not take long when the temp outside is 5 degrees). Changed the fuse out and got the fans working again, now here is the problem.

If i let this thing idle the fans run steady and the gauge stays about 3/4 hot or maybe a bit more, but as soon as i rev the motor up to about 3500 rpm the gauge drops right down to normal and the fans turn off. Let it idle for less than minute and it is back to 3/4 + temp and the fans are on again.

All the hoses are hot, so i think the water is circulating. No heat from the heater, but i know the heater core is plugged. Water pump maybe, or something worse. Anybody have any guesses?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey guys,
Just picked up a '99 Taurus Sedan 3.0L Vulcan for $500 smack. On the 10 mile drive home i noticed the temp gauge bouncing between 3/4 and hot, but i did not hear the fans running, so i really didn't think any thing of it. (The last two Taurus's that were in the family always had goofy temp gauges) The last mile or so down my road is 25 mph, so i putt along and i see the temp gauge pegged. I whip into the driveway, shut the car off, and watch the steam pour out from the coolant reservoir. I let it cool about 5 minutes, (which does not take long when the temp outside is 5 degrees). Changed the fuse out and got the fans working again, now here is the problem.

If i let this thing idle the fans run steady and the gauge stays about 3/4 hot or maybe a bit more, but as soon as i rev the motor up to about 3500 rpm the gauge drops right down to normal and the fans turn off. Let it idle for less than minute and it is back to 3/4 + temp and the fans are on again.

All the hoses are hot, so i think the water is circulating. No heat from the heater, but i know the heater core is plugged. Water pump maybe, or something worse. Anybody have any guesses?
WATER PUMP.

Vulcans love to blow their heads when they overheat, don't let that engine run too hot! The water pump impeller rots off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Been there, done that. The heater core plugs, the water pump impeller rots away, temperature rises, and either you blow the back head gasket or you cook the exhaust valve in #1. I ran into this when I bought my wife's 98 back in 2005. The long term result was a new cylinder head after causing all kinds of problems. The heater core flushed with a hose connected directly to it. The water pump and all hoses were replaced. All was fine for a short time but unknown to me there was a crack developing in the pocket of the #1 exhaust valve. For 3 months the engine threw all kinds of codes until a compression test ultimately yielded no compression in #1. Since the head was replaced, in late 2005, the car has ran fine other than those damn coolant recovery tanks by Dorman always cracking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's kinda what i was thinking. I am going to pick up a water pump and try that either Monday or Tuesday night and see where that gets me. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know from your opening sentence it sounds like you traded heroin for a car. :lol2:
Oops. Around my edge of town smack is meant as a verbal sub for money. Apparently according to you & wiki, the rest of the town has a different interpretation! I fixed the opening post, so nobody else gives me the old :huh:.

Now on to regularly scheduled programming.....

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Here's my 2¢.
Not sure how many miles are on your Taurus but I would throw in a Motorcraft thermostat or test the one you have. Pressure testing the cooling system is always a good thing to do as well.

Monsoon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well boys, sorry for the delay in responding. I had my mechanic check some things out on tuesday night and he came to the conclusion that she popped a head gasket. Motor ran good and did not smoke but kept taking air into the system and blowing coolant out the reservoir. Started tear down yesterday. Heads are off to be shaved and pressure checked. Should have them back on thursday. After me and my dad got that far i decided to replace the water pump while i was in there.

I attached a photo. The fins were totally gone. Now here is a question, could that water pump have caused the air in the system? Not that it matters now, but just curious? I'll will let you know how things go after this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the seal was broken yes it could have. I had the seal on my thermostat leaking a little bit of air and it did the same thing that yours did...MAJOR over heating and I thought it was the thermo but when it was tested it was fine...the leak was the gasket for the thermo....which are a pain in the ass to get to stay properly...I tightened down the bolts for the housing really tight and it still leaked like a bitch...it took a while of running the car and letting it get the gasket wet and basically turn it to glue....small bits of air in the lines will block your coolant especially when the blades on the water pump are gone....I would go to napa and get a NEW one there...they are cheaper then any other auto store (trust me I looked for a while) and they have better customer relations....advanced they mess anything up and they dont give a ****....just kick you out the door

1 - 13 of 13 Posts