Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting intermittent trouble codes. That is, when I reset the system and clear the error codes, the service engine light stays off but only for about twenty miles.

The codes I keep getting are related to the fuel delivery system and/or oxygen sensors. They are:

P0136, P0141, P1131 and P1132.

I assume these indicate a possible problem with the oxygen sensor. However, I am wondering if it may also be a fuel delivery problem or something else because of the intermittent nature. If it were an O2 sensor failure, it seems the engine light would come on and stay on.

Also, if it's the O2 sensor, is it the front or rear? From what I read, it's the rear but wanted to make sure before I go any further.

There’s a new catalytic converter, fuel pump, fuel filter and MAF sensor installed due to other problems. A recent check shows fuel pressure to be at acceptable readings.

I don’t want to keep dumping money on this thing. I just want a final fix. I’d be eternally grateful to anyone that comes up with a “final cure”.

·
Registered
887 Posts
QUOTE (Stan_S @ Mar 9 2009, 09:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706834
I am getting intermittent trouble codes. That is, when I reset the system and clear the error codes, the service engine light stays off but only for about twenty miles.[/b]
02 sensor codes take a while to register. You aren't fixing anything when you reset them. They will not re-appear automatically as soon as you crank your car after you reset your codes. So if they re-appear 20 miles down the road, your O2 problems are constant, not intermittent.

Also, if it's the O2 sensor, is it the front or rear? From what I read, it's the rear but wanted to make sure before I go any further.[/b]
You have 2 O2 sensors before your catalytic converter & 2 after your catalytic converter. You will need to have your sensors checked to see if they are switching off and on as they should and you should check to see if you have a lazy O2 sensor.

Search is your friend. This has all been covered in lots of threads.

I don’t want to keep dumping money on this thing. I just want a final fix. I’d be eternally grateful to anyone that comes up with a “final cure”.[/b]
You will have to check those O2 sensors for their readings before you find your "final cure"... or you could just not test the O2 sensors, and replace them all 1 by 1 and hope to fix something. :x:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
DTC 136 is the pre cat sensor bank one, closet to the fire wall. DTC 141 is the post cat sensor bank one. Look to see if they weren't connected wrong. The blue plug should be on the post cat and green plug on the pre cat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you have over 100 K on it would replace all 4 O2's as far as being hit and miss I had the same trouble with my 97 ... the trouble was the air filter believe it or not... I changed it and all the codes for O2's finally went away... but also gave it a new set of plugs.. as well...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts