Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 vulcan se all around disks.
ok, my moms brakes like dont work, so we took one of the front brake setups apart to see how much wear is on the pad. the pads still have like 1/2 inch left on them. like, there is a lot on there, but the front brakes like arent workin. the pedal kinda feels mushy at times and u have to press on the brakes a long time b4 u have to stop. there is no grinding noise when braking. if u lay on the brakes really hard, they respond reasonable well, i did a brake test about a week ago at a yellow lights, since there were no cars behind me from about 50mph. but y does my moms car go throught brakes so quik? it has 51k miles and this is the 4th time we are doin a brake job. and the last pads we had up front are not that worn down either. same thing last time we replaced the rear pads. is this a really commion problem? how do we fix it so we dont have to do the brakes every 15k?

brakes are apart. help quick if possible

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Are the calipers sliding on their tracks properly? they might not be centering over the rotor right. It also kinda sounds like the brakes need to be bled. check fluid levels in master cylinder. That's all I can think of off hand. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I always notice the fluid level dropping as the pads wear. The calipers are squeezing in more due to the thinner (used up) pad, thus using up more fluid. I usually top it off about once a year.
If this isn't the problem, I think you need to have the brakes bled or there is something more serious.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does it have rear drums and how are the rear brakes? If the rears are worn they can affect the performance of the front because it takes to much stroke to engage the rear brakes. And if the rears aren't adjusted properly most of the work is done by the front pads which wears them really fast.

B

·
0 Posts
He mentioned four wheel disc.

I would have to agree with all the other comments, but one other question, do the pads appear glazed at all (shiny)?

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they do seem a bit shiney
but we got all new pads, lifetime warranty, and new rotors for free, dads arguing skills
we still need to do the rear, but the fronts are dont for now

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Take the pads off and rub them on the concrete. Get that glaze off. Then get a quart of some Valvoline brake fluid and flush the entire system starting in the left rear, right front, right rear, left front. Do not let the MC go below 1//2 way.

Sounds like a combination of cheap pads and contaminated fluid. If they are good pads to start with (OEM Ford) then I would say you need to learn how to bed them in.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Jan 4 2004, 12:41 AM
then I would say you need to learn how to bed them in.
Or how to not ride the brakes. I replace the pads on my mother in law's Wrangler at least once a year due to her riding the brakes and glazing them over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts