Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Quick ?, a tad worried here. I keep getting a wiff of antifreeze coming from my 99 Sable. Not all the time, just intermittently. Can't find any leaks, and am thinking it may be the overflow compartment. The motor is a year old, was rebuilt, and new heater core, etc. Any suggestions? Could it be just the overflow compartment releasing some pressure (the cap on it, is designed for this)?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have you noticed coolant loss also?

Coolant tanks are known to crack.

Easiest way to find any issues is to have it pressure tested.

I had the same issue on my 2001. It ended up beinga small leak behind the water pump and a hairline crack in the coolant tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same symptoms and it was a crack in the overflow tank. I didn't notice much of a change in the level, but I kept getting that whiff of coolant smell. Look for residue on the sides and bottom of the tank and on the frame below it. If that's the culprit, new ones are about $30 - $40 and pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thread hijack...what do you guys recommend for replacements? I'm getting the bogus sensor warning, and I see the new Dorman replacement on ebay for $35 delivered. But I've been burned by Dorman/Motormite quality in the past. Thoughts?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Had the same issue on our 96 gl. Over flow tank was cracked on the back and could not see it till I pulled it off. Nice lots and lots of old plastic cracks. Was not leaking bad but could smell it. my 2 cents. I think I bought mine replacement from the dealer. I like dealer parts for my fords :)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
hi,

I replaced both our leaking tanks with new Ford units, under $ 30.

my 99 wagon had a stress crack, was spraying coolant on my
serpentine belt, caused the belt to wiggle off the tension pully.

same for the 99 sable.

regards,

james

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have had both Ford and Dorman replacement tanks. The Ford ones last about three years or 40-50K miles. The Dorman one I got cracked in less than 8 months (9K miles). Dorman had a Lifetime Warranty, and is sold in most auto parts stores.

But is it going to be worth the hassle of replacing every year?

IMHO, the Ford part is the way to go. The price difference is less than $10.

Check your waterpump for a leak. The Ford ones are the best, and last the longest (about 100K miles).

If you are getting a coolant film on the inside of your windshield, or can see or smell coolant on the firewall under the hood a short time, for a short period, after shutting off the engine, then the heater core is bad (they last about 150K miles, if you don't damage the inlet and outlet pipes while replacing the hoses or servicing the engine or transmission).

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've never found a degas tank in a local parts store. I've had two Dorman ones - the first one was garbage and fell apart in 10 months. The new one is only about a month old, but they have updated the design to the newest clear-top Ford OEM style. The new one is also made in USA - the old one was Chinese.

Common leak spots on the Vulcan:
1. Coolant tank
2. Water pump
3. Timing cover

1 - 10 of 10 Posts