Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sister has a 99 Sable. 3.0L V6. Ran out of gas one day and a few days later it wouldn't start...however has started twice for the garage, then nothing. At first it was testing good fuel pump pressure but then started hesitating to start and measured 23-24 but then would quit starting and measured back up to 38. Fuel filter was replaced. The garage has tried 2 different crank sensors (hoping the first was just a bad one) and nothing. Also put on a new ignition coil pack. Nothing. The computer is throwing out NO codes to indicate a problem. Replaced the fuel pump as a final hope...it started...my sis drove it to work and again it wouldn't start. The mechanic's only solution for the moment is to send the computer off to be flashed which will take a month...but any suggestions please? Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Check for a full 12V at the pump. If it's lower, find the source of the voltage drop: short to power, corrosion at the pump relay, etc. You'll need wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your response! my father is traveling up to try to help her and needed all of the suggestions he can get...the garage basically gave up...said flash the computer and see if that helps because he was clueless...we appreciate any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
If pump is getting 12V, my guess is either the pump is failing or the tanks is rusted inside and the filter sock is plugged with rust. Either way, time to drop the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts