Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for the 24v version of the engine, it looks like there's no easy way to re-route the accessory belt to bypass the a/c. Right now the outer ring of the a/c pulley spins, but when I start up the engine I also see the inside a/c pulley spins and stops constantly. This can't be good for the belt.

So, is there a way to disengage the outer ring of the a/c pulley from the inside a/c pulley permanently? I don't need a/c, I just don't want the accessory belt to snap.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
In other words, are you asking how to keep the clutch plate from engaging the hub (pulley)? If so, just remove the electrical connector from the clutch coil at the front of the compressor.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You can also pull the AC clutch relay so the clutch connector does not get filled with crud and the wire is not flopping around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I'm having the same issue but on a 96 24v (and a 97 Vulcan - yes, both my ACs crapped out on me around the same time). I'm not sure what's causing it though, because it seems to have enough pressure in the system, at least on the Duratec (haven't checked the other yet).

I disconnected the switch on each, and put a piece of electrical tape over it so it wouldn't get dirty, and that stops it from spinning.

Any suggestions as to what to check first?

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Replace the CCPS (clutch pressure switch). Inexpensive and easy to replace. I usually see these switches fail open causing no clutch engagement, but they could fail closed causing clutch engaged all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a video of the problem, as you can see, the outer ring turns (the belt is not slipping at all), but the inside pulley (the a/c clutch itself?) sometimes turns and sometimes stops. When I removed the belt the outer ring turns freely, but there's a little bit of play. The inside pulley also turns realitively easily. I already disconnected the power plug to the a/c compressor, so the clutch should not be engaging. Does this mean the clutch has failed and engages all the time? But I can spin it freely by hand when the belt is removed. Right now my main concern is the a/c pulley gets burning hot, I'm afraid it'll damage the belt. Thanks for the replies so far.

Sorry for the cell phone quality video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts