Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I purchased a head from a '99 taurus with the intent of installing a CD changer (my '96 taurus didn't have the CD buttons on it). I removed the old head only to discover that it was connected with two separate connectors . The '99 head only has one large socket which fits neither of those coming off the harness in the car. In the trunk there is a free 12-pin plug coming off the amp which I can only assume is intended for a cd changer (which I haven't purchased yet). Do I need some kind of an adapter to install the new head?
thanks,
mike

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
they dont make an adapter... in 99 they changed the connector. you need to get a head unit from a 96-97.

Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks. Would a '98 work? Also, would it be possible for me to fabricate the adapter (assuming I could get a copy of the '99 wiring diagram, I already have the '96 diagram) or has the protocol changed in addition to the plugs? It's probably not worth it anyway as I got it for $25 and could probably resell it.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's not worth trying to fabricate your own connector. Go on eBay and sell your old one, then buy a new one...much easier...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
the audio control protocol has been the same from 96-04. A connector is possible, but not worth it for $25. Sell the old one and get a new one. I would not reccomend a 98. I would def get a 96-97.

Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but we have climate control and 96-97 heads with climate control and cd buttons are virtually non-existant. Does anyone have a '99 wiring diagram? It looks like manufacturing an adapter might be our only choice.
Thanks,
mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts