Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, had this tappet noise and rough engine, missing cylinders 2 and 3 and gas pooling in the intake manifold. 144K on engine. Took the valve cover off today and there are 4 rockers (I know they are not really rockers) from the intake side laying in the head casting. The camshaft nuts were loose, turned by finger. So, where do I go from here? Should I assume the problem was because of the loose cam bolts and slap it back together or do I need to look for parts or a different head?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I mentioned this in your other post... I suspected the finger followers had fallen off their posts on the hydraulic lash adjusters.

I would attempt to put it back together as is first. Disassemble the cams and timing components and check the condition of the cam mating surfaces on the heads. Make sure the cam caps are in the correct order. They are stamped and numbered from the factory. You should remove the front cover (which requires removing the oil pan, PS, and water pump) to check the condition of the timing chain guides. Check for aluminum shavings in the oil pan. Check for excessive wear on the guides. I can dig up instructions and torque values if you need them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (spridget @ Apr 22 2009, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719636
I mentioned this in your other post... I suspected the finger followers had fallen off their posts on the hydraulic lash adjusters.

I would attempt to put it back together as is first. Disassemble the cams and timing components and check the condition of the cam mating surfaces on the heads. Make sure the cam caps are in the correct order. They are stamped and numbered from the factory. You should remove the front cover (which requires removing the oil pan, PS, and water pump) to check the condition of the timing chain guides. Check for aluminum shavings in the oil pan. Check for excessive wear on the guides. I can dig up instructions and torque values if you need them.[/b]
Thanks for the reply. After looking things over again it looks like the even if the bolt were tight that there is too much space between the fingers and the lash adjusters. The valves appear to be closed, at least the height of the valve looks about the same as the other valves. How much movement are the lash adjusters suppose to have? Can you move these in and out by hand?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
No. Once the cam caps are tightened down, there should be very little to no movement in the finger followers. Possibly the HLA's are not filling with oil like they should. You can remove them by pulling them straight up and out of their holes. Be sure to place each follower and HLA in it's original position. These parts wear together and should not be mixed up. I'd pull out the bad ones and compare to a known good cylinder. I've never heard of these going bad. They may just be gunked up from nasty oil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (spridget @ Apr 22 2009, 04:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719697
No. Once the cam caps are tightened down, there should be very little to no movement in the finger followers. Possibly the HLA's are not filling with oil like they should. You can remove them by pulling them straight up and out of their holes. Be sure to place each follower and HLA in it's original position. These parts wear together and should not be mixed up. I'd pull out the bad ones and compare to a known good cylinder. I've never heard of these going bad. They may just be gunked up from nasty oil.[/b]
I really don't understand what is going on with the head. The valves are definately sealed but the is a huge gap. I can easily pull the finger followers out after everything is tightened back down. I also see that the cam has been spun on the end cap, so probably should just be looking for a new head. Any experiance with the rebuilt heads from Rock auto? Do these heads come with cams, fingers, etc, so I can just bolt them on and put the valve cover on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (bofronado @ Apr 22 2009, 06:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719705
QUOTE (spridget @ Apr 22 2009, 04:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719697
No. Once the cam caps are tightened down, there should be very little to no movement in the finger followers. Possibly the HLA's are not filling with oil like they should. You can remove them by pulling them straight up and out of their holes. Be sure to place each follower and HLA in it's original position. These parts wear together and should not be mixed up. I'd pull out the bad ones and compare to a known good cylinder. I've never heard of these going bad. They may just be gunked up from nasty oil.[/b]
I really don't understand what is going on with the head. The valves are definately sealed but the is a huge gap. I can easily pull the finger followers out after everything is tightened back down. I also see that the cam has been spun on the end cap, so probably should just be looking for a new head. Any experiance with the rebuilt heads from Rock auto? Do these heads come with cams, fingers, etc, so I can just bolt them on and put the valve cover on?
[/b][/quote]

You do realize that your car is probably worth about what your going to put into it.. Just a thought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts