Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 DOHC is one of 3 Gen III that I deal with on a relatively regular basis. My sister in law drives a 97 Vulcan that averages just over 30mpg, and a coworker drives a 99 DOHC that averages just under 30mpg. Both of those cars have well over 150K miles. My 99 has 61K miles, and averages 18 mpg.

Most of its driving is back roads where I can maintain 55+ for a good distance. Doesn't seem to make any difference how I drive either. I did my best to nurse it for one week, coasting where i could, accelerating easy, etc, 18 mpg. Last week I drove it like I stole it, just mashing it, still got 18 mpg.

It has a brand new fuel pump & filter about a month ago, and that solved my rough starts but didn't affect economy at all. Car runs great, only noticeable issue is every once in a while while cruising along you can feel a small hesitation, almost like the little kick a car has when the AC is turned on, where it suddenly put under a little strain, but thats about it.

What I'm looking for is what things should I check first. The car sat for a while before I bought it a year ago, and I'd like to replace the plugs, and am open to some other things, but I also don't want to throw an obscene amount of money at a 12 year old car. Where would you guys begin?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would get a scanner plugged in an see what the fuel trims are doing. That will help isolate what is happening a lot, otherwise its anyones guess as to whats going on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get a scanner plugged in an see what the fuel trims are doing. That will help isolate what is happening a lot, otherwise its anyones guess as to whats going on.
I'll have to check around a little and see if anyone I know has got one, although I'm thinking not. Almost bought one too a year ago, kinda wish I had. Just so darn expensive

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I'll have to check around a little and see if anyone I know has got one, although I'm thinking not. Almost bought one too a year ago, kinda wish I had. Just so darn expensive
$80 -$90 for an interface cable that plugs into a laptop or desktop, software is free. Does real time fuel trims and O2 sensor switching, resets CEL, manufacturer code look-up (with Internet), all that stuff. You can get the software and play with it in simulation mode before you decide to buy the cable. I like it, have a laptop for on the road data capture and a PC in the garage. Charge my Buds a beer for CEL resets, LOL!
OBDII Diagnostic ScanTools and code-readers
Turned out my Tec had a slightly dragging rear caliper, even though she seemingly coasted OK. All is well now, 26-28 MPG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts