Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very common problem with taurus coolant system, corroded water pump inlet hose, detailed discussion here. Here is my steps to change a OEM part with some pic. Aslo found a very useful post in Wiki, "Remove Water Pump on Gen 3 Duratec"

Car: 99 DOHC
Parts: F6DZ-8A567-A from FastPartsNetwork at 170.93+H&S+tax

1. remove passange side wheel and inside shield (srews + plastic push pins)
2. remove under radiator splash shield and drain out coolant (screws + petcock)
3. remove degas coolant tank (two bolts)
4. remove serpentine belt (borrow tools from Autozone)
5. remove three-port radiator coolant hose attached to thermostat lower port (see pic, pan for spilling out coolant)
5. disconnect water pump inlet hose from thermostat (the toughest part becasue no room for plier to release spring clamp, use big screwdriver to pry out), then another side off from water pump
6. route out the hose in a SPECIAL way (see pic below which were taken when I put new one in, so look at them in a reverse order, :p)
7. put new hose in following the route shown in the pic, and other parts back on in a reverse order
8. add coolant to range, run engine till thermostat open, shut off the engine and add more coolant to range.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually changed this hose by only removing the lower rad cover, passenger side wheel and inner cover, and right cooling fan. Not necessary to remove the belt. HOWEVER, if you're thinking about changing the thermostat while your done there, BE VERY CAREFUL, as I snapped off the heads of both bolts in the housing and am going to have a hard ass time tapping those out. Any suggestions would be great. But thanks for the post.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
^ Advance Auto flex hose part#2221 ~$16. Someone recently used Napa part#FF257 ~$13. Saw the rusty (leaky) metal pipe in half to facilitate removal.

G

·
Thank you very much for posting this. There is also a Dorman number 626-209 that is an assembly with rubber hose and steel pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
$17.59 fix from pepboys part#72099

I really did not want to pay $180 for a replacement pipe, so I looked around in the back on their wall of flex hoses for a similar shaped hose. I found the perfect part, shaped almost exactly like the original part. It's completely flexible so it can be manipulated a bit, and another good thing is it does not kink. Didn't need to go crazy disassembling either. Just took off the radiator cover and the plastic lining in the passenger wheel well, sawzalled the pipe in two to remove. Took a little elbow grease to manipulate in place, but it definitely works. I just needed to cut off a couple inches on each side, and fixed it in place with new hose clamps. Bam. Fixed. It holds fluid just fine, and it wont rust out like the original part.
So check pep boys for radiator hose part #72099. It's a Dayco curved radiator hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts