Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Did a brake job on my son's 99 SE with DOHC. Did some fast reverse and braking to self adjust the brakes and heard a clunk. Raised the hood and put in forward held brake and gave gas, all looked good. Put in reverse and did the same but engine by the firewall raised up about an inch. I guess the mounts are shot. Have not had time to investigate further and did not fine much on forum search. So I can get prepared for this weekend, how hard a job and a basic rundown for changing them please? Will I have to drop the subframe? Thanks for any tips to make it easier. Since the back of the engine is raising, I assume it's the rear motor mount. Will I also need to change the transmission mount? Thanks again.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Check the sub-frame bushings in the front before changing the motor mounts. The sub-frame bushings in the front are known for seperating and causing the same issue, happened to me which is why I installed aluminum bushings. If the bushings are seperated you can use buy rear sub-frame bushigns which are better and a little stiffer then the front.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through just about everthing on this car about three years ago during an engine swap. I replaced the front motor mount at that time. the others looked okay so I let them ride. I guess in hindsight I should have changed the others but they are kind of pricey. I also replaced the subframe bushings with the rear ones all the way around so they should still be good but I will recheck them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Scout1
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing