Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 98 Taurus that has been a huge pain but my concern now is I borrowed $2300.00 to have the Tranny rebuilt in Jan 2010 and it only ran right for a month and then is started slipping and not going into overdrive then magically fixed itself and then started not going into over drive 75% of the time. I took it back last week they cleared the codes out, the code was P1780 TCS out of Range, it worked fine for a day then the engine light came back on and also the Overdrive Off light flashed 50% of the time but DOES NOT coincide with rather or not it goes into overdrive. Well a few days ago the linkage went weird and wont go into park but will always shift into overdrive now. I took it back to the place (All-Trans) in Honolulu and I don’t want them to try to rip me off and I'm pretty sure the linkage is part of any automatic tranny so are these things that should not be going wrong with a rebuilt tranny that only has 3k miles on it? Thanx ahead of time for any help...

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Possable vehicle speed sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are tyrying to tellme that the linkage needs replaced from the steering column and not the transmission so they can try to get another 2k out of me and then they say that mite not fix it and they would have to replace the whole steering column, im trading that POS in...

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Shifter assembly is a piece that can be removed from the column. The shifter can be unbolted from the column if needed.

The column must be unbolted from the dash and lowered to access the shifter assembly.

There are plastic bushings on the shifter that can be raplaced, and also the bolt holding the bracket where the shifter cable attaches can work loose.

Only other possible problem in the linkage could be a bad shifter cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts