Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I have a 1998 Taurus which has us stumped... First it started hesitating while going down the road, the next morning it would not start, just a clicking...we had battery tested which was less than a year old...it tested good. Changed starter and alternator...still nothing. Cleaned connections and finally after cleaning near Megafuse, the car started great and ran great for 2 days. Then, car started fine and about 5 minutes away from house the battery light flickered so came back home and noticed the car overheated. We put in a new thermosat thinking that was the problem but now we are back to the No start thing.....

Is there a sensor of some sort or any other thing we are overlooking? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying...

Yes, those were checked....After reading I noticed it could possibly be the Transmission Range (TR) sensor. ????

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i would pull and clean the fuses and relays in the power distribution block, then check all grounds.
a trs would have other symptoms. radio not working, weird shifts etc....

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if changing the thermostat resolved the overheating then the issues are unrelated.
clean the fuses and check the wires. are you getting power inside the car? radio, locks and windows?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hi...I have a 1998 Taurus which has us stumped... First it started hesitating while going down the road, the next morning it would not start, just a clicking...we had battery tested which was less than a year old...it tested good. Changed starter and alternator...still nothing. Cleaned connections and finally after cleaning near Megafuse, the car started great and ran great for 2 days. Then, car started fine and about 5 minutes away from house the battery light flickered so came back home and noticed the car overheated. We put in a new thermosat thinking that was the problem but now we are back to the No start thing.....

Is there a sensor of some sort or any other thing we are overlooking? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks for reading

You said overheating. You did check the degass tank and make sure its
is full of coolant? There is a chance you have a head-gasket or head crack
issue and the motor is hydrolocking. Woiuld also account for the missing
if coolant is getting into a cylinder

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Starting Issues
Use your car as a test platform with this problem. Turn your headlights on and try to start the car. If your headlights lights are very dim and the car doesn't start verify the battery is good as well as the connection between the battery and starter. Battery acid can sometimes creep into the battery cable not allowing full amperage for the starter. In this scenario the cable will be very hot.

Overheating Issues
Pressure test the cooling system and look for leaks and weak hoses. Verify your drive belt is in good shape. Thermostats - I personally would only use a Motorcraft thermostat for best results. Verify coolant level is at the normal level on the tank. From my experience any leaks no matter how small within the cooling will cause the car to run abnormal. You get loss of power, the car idles funny.

Monsoon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions....

We will try them & keep you posted... thanks so much again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts