Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody

I am new here and just got a second hand 98 Taurus a couple of weeks ago. The problem I found right now is that the head light is so dim that it is really hard to see the road at night. And I saw other's posts about the same problem.

Can anybody kindly help recommend any replacement bulbs? All I need is anything that works. Better comes with blue lights. Any band or website that worth the shoot?

I am new at DIY at cars. I really want know how hard this is for me.

Thanks all and I will learn more from you later.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Welcome to the club! :lol2: Well the headlight bulb I really recommend for our cars are the Sylvania Silverstars, which you could get at PepBoys or another auto store. They are awesome and have the blueish appearance at night plus they won't melt your headlight wiring harnesses.

Frank

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by sable97@Aug 17 2004, 01:22 AM
Welcome to the club! :lol2: Well the headlight bulb I really recommend for our cars are the Sylvania Silverstars, which you could get at PepBoys or another auto store. They are awesome and have the blueish appearance at night plus they won't melt your headlight wiring harnesses.

Frank
Thanks for the info. However, when I do a search online, it seems there is several different models for silverstar. Is there any specific one fits my car? 99 Taurus SE?

Any more comments on how difficult the replacing work is for a rookie?

thanks again.

G

·
WELCOME!!!

I would like to say 9007. But Im not positive on that. Head out to your local Pep Boys and the guys there will be more then glad to help you out.

I know... I work for them. Good Luck

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Definitely the 9007 will work in your Taurus SE. These bulbs will be high improvement for the stock bulbs our car comes. I highly recommend it. ;)

G

·
Yup, all are right... I mean, I got em on my car!

Here's my old school sig from the forum. Check it out...

SILVERSTARS!

Sal

·
Registered
341 Posts
yeah grab the 9007's. i replaced mine yesterday with CyberWhite Xenon WPK's, and they are hella bright right now. They're the same wattage as the silverstars, and $20 bucks cheaper. the XtraVisions aren't that bad either, and they're only about $18 compared to $40 for the silverstars.

also, when you're removing your headlights, don't forget that fourth bolt that holds the mounting in. Haynes says three...it's four. you'll see what i mean when you do it.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You don't need to remove the headlights assemblys to replace the bulbs. All you need to do is reach around back, twist the black retainer, then pull on the harness and twist. The bulb will come out. Unplug the bulb, and put the new one in. Test it out. Push the bulb back into the hole, put the retainer back on, and twist to lock it...takes about five minutes for both bulbs.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
thirty times easier to remove the assembly. i did it last night.

you can do it w/out removing the assembly...but its just as fast and a hell of a lot easier on your hands and back if you just pull the thing out :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
no doubt...i didn't get any cuts...but i had dirt and grease clear up to my elbows...not to mention my passenger side bulb is directly behind my coolant lines....hot hot hot.

either way works...but IMHO i think its easier to remove the assembly. when you do, you can sit down on the porch with a beer and change your headlights. :D

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Aug 17 2004, 07:28 AM
awww don't tell me that... i put mine back in and didn't do it :(
James, it's ok if you put them back in! It can also be done while mounted in the car. It's just a lot easier to get the whole housing clean if it's *out* of the car. But you can still wipe down the lense/plastic with rubbing alchohol. Make sure you wipe it on something thats light so you can say "EEEWWWIIE" like a little girl. Cuz thats what I did :lol2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts