Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was there a light and it no longer works? This car was my wife's primary car and when I drive it, I forget to release the brake sometimes. The brake is loose and has lost a lot of holding power, but I did drag it around town for a little bit today and it smelled a little. Was there a light and is it most likely just a bulb that is out? If so, how hard to get to the dash bulbs? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
might be the switch gone bad. I would test the switch and make sure it has power coming in and out before getting into dash lights

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Spray the e-brake plunger switch (just above the pedal on its arm above the black rubber wedge) liberally with wd-40 and set and release the e-brake several times. Might be better to spray with e-brake set on (plunger extended).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Or remove the switch and clean the contacts. It's just an aluminum plunger that grounds the circuit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bypassed the switch and jump it to ground with a wire and the light came on. I guess the next step is to clean the switch?

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I bypassed the switch and jump it to ground with a wire and the light came on. I guess the next step is to clean the switch?
Yep
I've just pulled out the plunger a little with pliers and twisted it a little on vehicles in the past to get 'em working.
Just kinda cleaned the plunger seat without disassembly, lazy man's way, duct tape or mechanics wire won't fix this one.... heheheh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts