Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 98 Taurus Projector Headlight Retrofit. Sorry for not having a write up but the entire thing was doing it wrong and redoing it over till I figured out the problem. By the time I got one thing right I ran into another problem and never really had time for all the pictures or instructions. If you have any questions about the Gen 3 Taurus retrofit feel free to send me a message and Ill help as much as I can.

*********More pictures on page 2*********

Heres the results:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/2JZSupraTT/?action=view&current=1014101401a.jpg

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/2JZSupraTT/?action=view&current=downsize3.jpg

At Night:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/2JZSupraTT/?action=view&current=1015102012.jpg

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/2JZSupraTT/?action=view&current=1015102012a.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get some morimoto mini H1's. They drop right in. All you have to do is take apart the headlight and take the bulb shield off. Link
make sure you select the 9007 harness with that

As for the lenses i'm not sure where to get one but some other members do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input, thats a great start. Id still have to cut a hole in the back of the reflector for those wouldnt I? Just found out a bit more on the lights and 6000k would be perfect. Still really bright and have a slight blue tint to them. Plus it comes with angel eyes in the kit so you cant beat that.

If anyone else has thoughts on this please tell me, especially if you know a store or site where I can order new headlight lenses. If nothing else Ill check at the scrapyard for the clearest ones I can find.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the input, thats a great start. Id still have to cut a hole in the back of the reflector for those wouldnt I? Just found out a bit more on the lights and 6000k would be perfect. Still really bright and have a slight blue tint to them. Plus it comes with angel eyes in the kit so you cant beat that.

If anyone else has thoughts on this please tell me, especially if you know a store or site where I can order new headlight lenses. If nothing else Ill check at the scrapyard for the clearest ones I can find.
The mini h1's just screw right in...lol I have yet to complete mine though. Lenses I just bought a whole new housing for each light didn't cost as much, plus I have back up in case I decided to sell the car I can keep my projectors. For the lenses, I hear ebay has them, haven't really found them. Oh yeah, I did a different route, instead of buying that complete set, I bought most of it, then got the ballasts somewhere else, total cost about 200.00 and the ballasts are 55w supposed to be even brighter.

P.S. If you compare the new lens to the old you will be amazed, makes the car look like new!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Screw in? Wow that would be way easier than I was thinking. Im going to buy new housings now too. 60 dollars for a pair on ebay isnt bad. Your setup sounds good too but Im going to stick with the whole kit since its my first time. Itll come with everything I need. The whole project is going to cost me about $350. A good investment and the new lights will make my car look amazing. Ill be one of the few people in the country that have projector headlights on a Taurus haha.

Thanks again for the ideas

·
Registered
173 Posts
Screw in? Wow that would be way easier than I was thinking. Im going to buy new housings now too. 60 dollars for a pair on ebay isnt bad. Your setup sounds good too but Im going to stick with the whole kit since its my first time. Itll come with everything I need. The whole project is going to cost me about $350. A good investment and the new lights will make my car look amazing. Ill be one of the few people in the country that have projector headlights on a Taurus haha.

Thanks again for the ideas
yes it is that simple, this is my first time as well! :p, I would also look into the H1 you are getting. Go to youtube and read about it and how it works if you haven't already. Have fun. ha ha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it sounds like you know what youre doing already. Thats nice if they just screw right in. Are you getting angel eyes too? Im guessing for those Id have to drill at least a small hole underneath to fit the wiring through. Ill check into it one more time. I cant order the new housings right away anyway because paypal makes you wait a couple days to connect to your bank account.

Good luck with yours too. Hopefully within the next couple weeks we both have projector headlights on our cars

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I actually saw that the other day and sent a message to him about it. It did help a lot even though its a different generation. I was actually trying to find it again to look at how he did the angel eyes haha

UPDATE

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1)

• Ballasts: Morimoto 35w Digital
  • Bulbs: 6000K
  • CCFL Angel Eyes: Yes
  • Projectors: Morimoto Mini Bi-xenon
  • Shrouds: Mini Gatling Gun (included)

Ordered and will be shipped this week :) Cant wait to get started when the new headlights arive

Thanks again to both of you for the advice. Without you guys and this site I wouldnt have found the right projector kit or been able to decide if I wanted to do it for sure. Knowing how easy it will be to install made it clear though. Ill put pictures up if anyone wants to see it

·
Registered
173 Posts
I actually saw that the other day and sent a message to him about it. It did help a lot even though its a different generation. I was actually trying to find it again to look at how he did the angel eyes haha

UPDATE

Ordered and will be shipped this week :) Cant wait to get started when the new headlights arive

Thanks again to both of you for the advice. Without you guys and this site I wouldnt have found the right projector kit or been able to decide if I wanted to do it for sure. Knowing how easy it will be to install made it clear though. Ill put pictures up if anyone wants to see it
Yes please do, I would be interested to see the 6000k color, I was planning on getting another bulb set from 4300k to 5000k

Actually, I am going to do a DIY on it since with the CCFL theres a pretty big starter for it. If I make my own I can just use it to connect the wire to the parking lights. And I can make my own type of eyes I want :p perhaps evil ones in red! mwahaha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes please do, I would be interested to see the 6000k color, I was planning on getting another bulb set from 4300k to 5000k

Actually, I am going to do a DIY on it since with the CCFL theres a pretty big starter for it. If I make my own I can just use it to connect the wire to the parking lights. And I can make my own type of eyes I want :p perhaps evil ones in red! mwahaha
Hahaha yeah there you go. I thought about colored eyes too. Red ones would look really good. You should definitely go through it on here, especially if you make your own custom eyes.

Ill have to change the title and put pictures up. The kit should get here on wednesday but the headlights might not make it till thursday or friday. Whenever I do get everything together Ill start taking the pictures.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This should be a cool retrofit. I have not seen I Gen3 with bi-xenon projectors before.

·
Registered
260 Posts

UPDATE

PM'd

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thats what I was hoping trayeater, to do something with my Taurus that very few other people have. Just getting the last details figured out with Escblads and then Ill be set. All I can do after that is wait for the weekend to get here.

UPDATE

The projector kit just got here. Ill be getting them ready to be installed the next couple days till the new headlights arrive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The best camera I have is on my phone so dont expect the best quality

Heres the stock headlights as they are now

1002101321a.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Heres a really blurry picture of everything that came in the kit. Its too late to take another and at the time I thought it was good so thats all I have.

1006101428.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket
Wow that was pretty fast shipping, they seem to be quick on that which is nice. Let me know if things work out well for you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, the shipping was really fast. I actually paid for 3 day shipping and it arrived earlier than scheduled after just 2 days of shipping time. I already accidentally broke an angel eye haha. At the time I wasnt too happy about it but the guys at TRS are great. I called right after it happened (I think it might have even been about 5-10 minutes after the support line was supposed to be closed for the day) and the guy that talked to me said it wasnt covered by the warranty but he would still make me a deal at 7 dollars to replace the one. Normally its $30 for a pair from the online store. So he got that sent today and should get here early next week. The new headlights are very close too. Everythings coming together...slowly, but its getting there. Ill have more pictures up soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, the shipping was really fast. I actually paid for 3 day shipping and it arrived earlier than scheduled after just 2 days of shipping time. I already accidentally broke an angel eye haha. At the time I wasnt too happy about it but the guys at TRS are great. I called right after it happened (I think it might have even been about 5-10 minutes after the support line was supposed to be closed for the day) and the guy that talked to me said it wasnt covered by the warranty but he would still make me a deal at 7 dollars to replace the one. Normally its $30 for a pair from the online store. So he got that sent today and should get here early next week. The new headlights are very close too. Everythings coming together...slowly, but its getting there. Ill have more pictures up soon.
How big is the inverter for the Angle eyes? and how did you manage to break it??!?!?!?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Not big. Like 2 1/2 inches tall by 1 inch wide? Around that. It was actually very easy to break..it doesnt come in any protective casing. All you have to do is press just a little too hard on both sides while trying to fit the shroud to the projector. Heres a picture:

1007101548.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Thats what you dont do with your angel eyes haha

This is the second shroud

1007101503.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Heres how the angel eyes come. Its wires are wrapped around it

downsize.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Heres the attached eye (one that didnt break) connected by fishing line tied around drilled holes. I drilled the holes almost right above the three clips on the inside of the shroud. They should clip right on to the projector after a little bit of sanding on the inside.

downsize_1.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Notice how hard the fishing line is to see. Plus it wont melt from the heat of the eyes like some glues can (at least I heard some have).

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/2JZSupraTT/?action=view&current=downsize_2.jpg

I need to retake that last picture. Its actually from the first shroud I did. The angel eyes are supposed to go through ONE OF THE VENTS on the side of the mini gatling like it shows in the first picture of the attached eye.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not big. Like 2 1/2 inches tall by 1 inch wide? Around that. It was actually very easy to break..it doesnt come in any protective casing. All you have to do is press just a little too hard on both sides while trying to fit the shroud to the projector. Heres a picture:

1007101548.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Thats what you dont do with your angel eyes haha

This is the second shroud

1007101503.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Heres how the angel eyes come. Its wires are wrapped around it

downsize.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Heres the attached eye (one that didnt break) connected by fishing line tied around drilled holes. I drilled the holes almost right above the three clips on the inside of the shroud. They should clip right on to the projector after a little bit of sanding on the inside.

downsize_1.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

Notice how hard the fishing line is to see. Plus it wont melt from the heat of the eyes like some glues can (at least I heard some have).

downsize_2.jpg picture by 2JZSupraTT - Photobucket

I need to retake that last picture. Its actually from the first shroud I did. The angel eyes are supposed to go through ONE OF THE VENTS on the side of the mini gatling like it shows in the first picture of the attached eye.
Ouch :p how did you manage to break that? pretty fragile I assume then? What type of box do these angle eyes connect to?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts